About This Role
As an Android engineer at Strava, you will build the athlete experience in the Strava Android app. In this role, you will build the features that make the best part of our athletes’ days even better. You will work closely with our cross-functional team to ensure our technology is addressing real athlete problems while being reliable and performant.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Work with a team of engineers, designers, product managers and analysts building compelling new experiences in feature areas such as Challenges, Segments, Leaderboards, Clubs and others.
- You will use your in-depth knowledge of all things Android to help drive technical conversations with peers from different backgrounds, across different teams.
You will be successful here by:
- Being someone who excels at user-centric product development
- Having a passion for making beautiful, smooth, delightful mobile experiences.
- Being capable of learning new things and are interested in figuring out tough problems. You know how to leverage the experience of others and when to ask for help.
We’re excited about you because you:
- You have experience with Java and/or Kotlin before (we use both).
- You have worked with native Android applications. You’re familiar with Android Studio, Emulators and have developed against API’s in the past.
- You enjoy working on mobile apps at all levels – from networking up to user interfaces and everything in between.
- Have experience building maintainable and testable code bases, including API design and unit testing techniques
- You can collaborate with iOS, Android, and Server engineers in order to ship features.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s core technologies and your role in developing them. For more on Strava’s engineering team check out the Engineering Blog. It covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to personal perspectives on what it’s like to be an engineer at Strava.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.