Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
About this role
Strava is looking for a Senior Product Researcher to join its growing design and research team. The ideal candidate is a leader who can integrate insight throughout the development process and partner with product teams to increase Strava’s impact on its global community. As a subscription-based, consumer-facing business, building deep empathy with this community of athletes is essential for driving both long-term user happiness and long-term business impact.
- Partner with Product Management, Engineering, Design, and Analytics to prioritize a portfolio of research projects that aligns with and informs product roadmaps
- Collaborate inside and outside of the research team to identify and investigate topics/trends that are strategically relevant to the entire company
- Lead all aspects of research efforts: scoping, recruiting, method selection, collection, analysis, and presentation
- Lead projects at all stages of the development process: from exploratory/foundational discovery to evaluative testing to beta-testing/go-to-market monitoring
- Deliver high-quality research insights that impact experience strategy within and beyond product teams
- Work with the broader design and research team to elevate the overall research practice through improvements to process, tools, training, and other capabilities
- Evangelize sound research practices and general athlete-centricity throughout the company
- Provide guidance to teams outside of project work to help them make sound decisions based on market, athlete, and product insights.
- 5-8 years experience with human-centered, qualitative research methodologies
- Deep, hands-on experience and shareable examples of executing a variety of research projects from start to finish
- Detailed knowledge of research principles, methods, facilitation, and how qualitative research works in concert with quantitative data
- Familiarity with common research tools (e.g. UserTesting.com, dScout, SurveyMonkey, Calendly, etc.)
- Experience integrating multiple types of data (e.g. qualitative findings, market research, survey data, analytics, competitive landscape) into a singular strategic point of view
- Deft ability to synthesize, shape, and share insights to convey clear direction and drive both actionable design recommendations as well as impact on Strava’s athletes
- Comfort in a fast-paced environment where speed, rigor and quality must be balanced to meet project needs
- Capacity to creatively adapt methods and approaches to meet the unique constraints of a rapidly changing environment
- Empathy and passion for understanding people and why they do the things they do
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal), collaborative mindset, and ability to persuade and inspire project teams and stakeholders of the value of a people-centered design approach
- Candidates must share their past work experience and project examples to be considered for the role.
- This is a full-time position with a team based in our San Francisco office.
- Research experience in a digital startup environment
- Experience or expertise in subscription-based businesses and their associated customer dynamics
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.