Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us!
About this Role
We’re looking for an experienced Brand Design Manager to join our design leadership team and help shape and direct not just our visual language and brand, but our people and the ways we design. As a Senior Design Manager, you’ll be responsible for developing and growing our Brand and Marketing Design team - working closely with each designer on career development and personal growth. You’ll work closely with leadership across Marketing and Product to build a collective vision for the Strava Brand and Design teams, and develop new tactics to realize it.
The Design team at Strava works closely with copywriters, marketers, product designers, researchers and engineers to create thoughtful, systematic, and beautiful brand design work. We collaborate and work across the company to balance the needs of athletes, the needs of our business, speed and technical constraints to create and maintain a cohesive experience across all touchpoints of Strava. Additionally, at times you’ll work with photographers, motion graphics experts, and external agencies to ensure our work is extraordinary. We appreciate designers who have a passion for details, think deeply, speak clearly, strive for impact and embrace collaboration and feedback. As a leader on the team, you'll connect design, marketing, and product to create work that is both beautiful and impactful.
What You'll Do
- Managing a team of designers by mentoring and creating growth opportunities for members of your team
- Partnering with marketers, writers, designers, operation managers and product managers to bring brand and marketing campaigns, initiatives to life and to ensure a strong and cohesive visual brand voice across all athlete touch points
- Coaching team members to successfully navigate the brand design process with teams around the company
- Ensuring team members are creating high-quality work that delights our athletes, meets company objectives and reinforces our brand across the product and marketing channels
- Collaborating with design leadership to evolve our process, tools and systems to ensure we’re creating great, consistent work
- Partnering with the head of design and recruiting to expand our team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, and on-boarding new employees
- 10+ years of applied design experience, 3+ years of proven management experience
- You love developing cohesive yet flexible creative strategies that can play out across channels and mediums.
- You lead with passion and vision, and you can energize your team to deliver excellent results while keeping them happy and engaged.
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates systematic and strategic design thinking, creativity and impressive design chops.
- You display a human-centered approach to design that’s inquisitive, strategic and well-reasoned.
- Superb attention to detail in typography, composition and craftsmanship.
- A champion for design systems who values and upholds visual consistency across all touch-points of a brand
- Reliable self-starter who can handle multiple projects with minimal oversight.
- Proven track record and experience in working with cross functional teams to drive initiatives forward.
- Great presentation skills with the ability to explain your creative vision and listen to feedback.
- Expects the team to push new thinking and expand new interpretations of the brand expression to meet ever-changing company demands.
- Friendly, supportive and collaborative. This is a strength-in-numbers kind of team; we make each other better.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.