Our geospatial data is a huge differentiator for our platform compared to other athletic sharing apps or social networks, and the Geo Team has the privilege of working with this rich, interesting data every day.
The Geo Team is all about building an ecosystem of mapping & GPS technologies that enable teams to build powerful geo-centric experiences, and understand where (in the world, and in relation to other things) everything on Strava is. Many notable Strava projects are born from Geo engineering including the Global Heatmap and Strava Metro. We are looking for an intern to join us and contribute to this exciting work. This is a 3 month Summer (2020) internship in our San Francisco office.
You’re excited about the role because you want to:
- Prototype systems for processing vast amounts of data, and are comfortable maturing them to production ready states
- Optimize algorithms that process trillions of location data points
- Improve data quality and correctness of Strava’s many data sources
- Collaborate with, and incorporate feedback from other engineering teams.
- Participate in Strava Jams - four uninterrupted days to work on a project of your choosing.
We’re excited about you because you have experience with:
- Large, reliable, and scalable distributed systems in production.
- Cloud-based services, especially Amazon AWS.
- A variety of databases and data formats
- Version control and command line tools
- At least one language such as Scala or Python in both production and research contexts
- Graduating in Winter 2020 or Spring 2021
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.