About this role
Millions of people are motivated by Strava every day. Our goal is to be the home of their athletic lives, capturing their activities, inspiring them every day, and making every activity count. Strava is looking for an engineering manager to lead a team of data platform engineers, working cross-functionally with product, analytics and data science stakeholders. The Data Platform Team builds data pipelines, infrastructure, and tools that enable the rest of the organization to use data effectively to uncover insights and build better products.
You are excited about this role because you will:
- Be responsible for team execution, development and performance
- Collaborate with product management, data scientists and analytics leaders to define and execute on a roadmap for Strava’s data platform
- Manage performance, career growth, and development for your direct reports
- Fully own the data platform, which powers business and technical decisions
You will be successful here by:
- Setting appropriate context for the entire team, focusing on their impact to Strava’s mission
- Evaluating trade-offs and effectively prioritizing tasks within team in alignment with strategic initiatives and company goals.
- Driving a culture of data-driven decision making
- Mentoring and coaching engineers to help them grow in their careers
We’re excited about you because you have experience with:
- Software development as a successful individual contributor, and a background in computer science, statistics, mathematics or similar technical domains
- Leading a team to deliver features on time with high quality
- Data warehousing, ETL, business intelligence, and streaming platforms (such as Snowflake, Airflow and Spark, to name a few)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. The ability to explain technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s Engineering and your role in it. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing:
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
- Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners, Jackson Square Ventures, and Go4it, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.