About this role
Millions of people are motivated by Strava every day. Our goal is to be the home of their athletic lives, capturing their activities, inspiring them every day, and making every activity count. Strava is looking for an exceptional Senior Engineering Manager to lead and grow a team of platform engineers, working cross-functionally with product, design, and analytics stakeholders.
The Strava platform runs entirely on AWS, made up of a microservice architecture behind a large Rails application. Components are primarily written in Ruby and Scala, with the majority of software running on Mesos, Marathon, and Docker. In addition to handling web, mobile, and API traffic, we perform background stream and batch data processing on a variety of workloads, from just-in-time upload processing to building heat maps for the world. In short, we own everything that Strava gets built on top of.
You are excited about this role because you will:
- Be responsible for driving strategy, execution, and development of a high-performing team
- Collaborate with tech leads as well as product engineers, product management, and analytics leaders to define and execute on a roadmap for Strava’s platform
- Manage performance, career growth, and development for your direct reports
- Influence company-wide technology decisions as a member of our engineering leadership team
You will be successful here by:
- Driving a culture of data-driven decision making at all levels of the team
- Growing and developing a team of high performing engineers who are excited about how infrastructure can enable other Strava engineers
- Enabling your organization to scale by setting direction and goals, then empowering your team to make decisions
- Making difficult decisions, managing performance, and holding a high bar for the quality of the engineers who you lead and hire
We’re excited about you because you have experience with:
- A track record of your team(s) delivering features on time with high quality over multiple years
- Software development as a successful individual contributor, and a background in computer science, statistics, mathematics or similar technical domains
- Executing an agile development process, balancing process with results orientation to get things done
- Presenting complicated ideas and proposals to varied audiences using the most effective medium
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s Engineering and your role in it. For additional information about Strava Engineering, please take a look at the links below to learn about some of the exciting work we are doing:.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
- Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.