As a server engineer at Strava, you will build the systems and services that support our mobile and web applications. In this role, you will work across the breadth of Strava’s backend systems including services for social features, services that interact with our geo data and many others. You will improve existing services and design new ones, and you will work closely with our Infrastructure engineering team to ensure these systems are reliable and performant. You will support short-term feature velocity while also planning and executing longer-term technology initiatives.
About the role
You will be joining one of our product teams. These are dynamic groups that include engineers, product managers, designers and analysts working together to achieve our product goals. We value individual ownership, feedback, initiative and collaboration.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Build services that improve the athlete experience on our apps and website.
- Deliver backend services in large, reliable and scalable distributed systems.
- Learn from experienced distributed systems engineers.
- Care deeply about the athlete experience.
You will be successful here by:
- Demonstrating empathy for athletes and their experience while using Strava.
- Taking ownership of your work, partnering with cross functional peers to ensure services are properly scoped and implemented.
- Be willing to explore and learn new technologies outside of your comfort zone.
We’re excited about you because you have experience with:
- Building services in a production environment (using Ruby, Java, Scala, Go, Python etc). We work in Ruby and Scala.
- Using AWS (or alternative) to manage cloud based infrastructure.
- Implementing relational or NoSQL databases in Production (MySQL, Redis, or Cassandra).
- Open source distributed systems technologies. We use Kafka, ZooKeeper, Finagle, Storm, Spark, Elasticsearch, Mesos, and Docker.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s core technologies and your role in developing it. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
- Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.