Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About this role
We’re looking for a passionate Senior UX Researcher, and overall leader, who will help Strava integrate insight throughout the development process, working with teams to incorporate people-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration, to increase impact on the people we serve and partner with. As a global, consumer-facing business dedicated to connecting athletes, it is essential that we truly understand, empathize, and are inspired by the athletes we are designing for and the businesses we partner with.
Are you an experienced and energetic researcher who is driven by empathy and a passion for understanding people? Do you love observing and interviewing people to uncover their deep needs and values, as well as testing concepts and solutions that seek to meet those needs? You will have equal passion for talking with our athletes and understanding their lives as you do interacting with internal teams to help them better articulate needs and research challenges. You will be a popular and key resource across Strava, collaborating with, and advising product teams on their approach and processes and educating the company in research best practice. You will play a key part in cultivating empathy across the organization and enabling teams with the capability to easily gain insight from athletes, partners and customers. Most importantly, your work will have a huge impact on the way Strava understands and interacts with our athletes.
- Lead all aspects of the research cycle, from scoping and recruiting, to method selection, analysis and presentation, at different stages of the development process, from strategic discovery to tactical evaluation
- Influence by delivering research insights that inform critical decisions, strategic choices, product experience, and generate shared empathy, emotion, and engagement from executive stakeholders to product teams
- Provide guidance to teams outside of project work to help them make sound decisions based on market, customer, and product knowledge
- Work with the broader research team to evolve and innovate the research practice and identify ways to maximize the team’s impact. Recommend and enact improvements to the team’s process, tools and communications
- Work collaboratively within the research team to assess larger user trends and determine strategies for further investigation and/or synthesis
- Promote people-centered design processes, tools, and best practices within the organization
- 8+ years experience with human-centered, qualitative research methodologies in a multidisciplinary design environment, who can plan, lead, and execute research projects
- Empathy and a passion for understanding people and why they do the things they do through observation, interviewing, testing and validation
- Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings
- Ability to synthesize, shape and present insights that lead to adoption, actionable design recommendations, impact on our members, and clear strategic direction
- Comfort in a fast-paced environment where speed, rigor and quality must be balanced to meet project needs, ability to creatively adapt methods and approach to meet the unique constraints of a rapidly changing start-up environment
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal), collaborative mindset, and ability to persuade and inspire project teams and stakeholders of the value of a people-centered design approach
- Excellent knowledge of research principles, methods, experiment design, facilitation and familiarity with combining qualitative and quantitative data
- Experience using a variety of research tools (such as UserTesting.com, Optimizely, Ethnio, Survey monkey), and familiarity with recruiting and analytics suites
- BA/BS in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Information Science, Computer Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
Candidates must share their work experience to be considered for the role. This is a full-time position at our San Francisco office.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.