Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. Every day, we’re searching for new ways to inspire athletes and make the sports they love even more fun. But it’s not only about achieving – we’re an inclusive team, dedicated to elevating each other and the members of our community. That balanced approach has helped us revolutionize our industry, and we’re just getting started. Millions of athletes are on Strava, millions more will come. When you’re ready for a challenge and a team that will support you along the way, join us.
About this role
As the Marketing Lead for North America you will oversee the strategy, planning and execution to drive brand awareness and community growth of Strava in the US. You will use athlete behavior, market trends and knowledge of the local sports and technology landscape to build marketing plans and campaigns that deliver upon the broader US and Central Marketing objectives.
Reporting directly to the VP of Marketing, the Marketing Lead for North America is a key part of marketing leadership at Strava. They will work cross functionally with the central marketing and communications teams to conceive and drive strategies and activations to inspire and engage runners, cyclists and other athletes in the US.
Key responsibilities include:
Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Lead the implementation and localization of the of the central brand strategy and messaging framework for the US market. You must be able to make confident brand decisions, and be smart and persuasive in bringing others with you.
- Set the US Marketing strategy, goals, and measurable KPIs and report on overall progress and campaign-level results on a quarterly basis
- In partnership with the US Marketing team, shape the development of strategies and tactics for local marketing initiatives
- Manage and track the US Marketing budget, allocating and justifying spend across multiple tactics, including event sponsorships, influencers, marketing campaigns, and branded gear.
- Working with the Brand Communications and Design Teams, lead the process to gain consumer insights and identify cultural/athletic trends to inform marketing campaigns and product planning
- Distill results from local marketing initiatives, quantitative and qualitative research, and industry trends into presentations that clearly communicate research findings and illuminate insights
US Marketing Initiatives
- Oversee the local marketing efforts in key US cities, focusing on New York, Chicago, LA and San Francisco. Build authentic organic relationships with local partners, influencers, shops, clubs, media and events.
- Brief-in creative concepts for local marketing campaigns, using athlete insights and trends to identify scalable, innovative ways to drive growth and generate brand awareness. As needed source and manage creative agency partners working on local marketing initiatives.
- A key part of this role is developing tactics that drive community connection and brand engagement for Strava in certain key cities across the US. The successful candidate could well have initiated and then scaled a city marketing approach and playbook in previous roles.
- Lead a small team responsible for US Marketing activations, including full-time Marketing Managers at Strava HQ and also part-time City Marketing Specialists based in key cities across the US. Provide vision, direction, well defined roles & responsibilities, mentoring, and professional development.
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Sigma Partners, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.