We are looking for a VP, Engineering (VPE) and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to scale Strava’s engineering and technology in support of our next stage of growth. This executive will report directly to our CEO and serve as a senior member of the leadership team. The VPE & CTO will have full responsibility for both the technical direction of the company and the growth of the engineering organization.
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s Engineering and your role in it. Please take a look at the links below to learn about the exciting work we are doing.
- The Engineering Blog covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to how we have refined our interview process.
- Strava Labs shows off some of our R+D efforts, and gives a sense of the power and scale of Strava’s datasets.
Recruit, support, inspire, and scale a culture of craftsmanship, innovation, and commitment within engineering. Evolve the way we build software through leadership and experimentation. Navigate the balance of delivering an amazing customer experience with investing in the future to ensure a thriving engineering foundation and culture. Enable the organization to make the right strategic and tactical technical decisions while ensuring we have the capability to execute.
Strava’s business is on a fast growth trajectory. Adapting how we engineer through this growth is essential to our success. The VPE & CTO will be responsible for
Technical Strategy, Vision and Architecture
- Forward planning for ~10x growth in our community, designing the architecture and development practices to get us there
- Partnering with senior engineers inside the company to develop powerful new experiences for our athletes, unlocking the potential of the world’s largest data-set of activities
- Advising the team on selection of open source and third party tools and platforms to increase our development efficiency and improve our technology and product offerings
- Planning and allocating resources appropriately between horizontal technology and vertical product development teams
Recruiting and Team Development
- Building an evergreen pipeline of diverse engineers to support doubling the organization in the next two years
- Elevating the Strava engineering brand through published work and speaking at events
- Evolving how we organize within engineering and defining career paths
- Creating rotational opportunities to distribute skills across the company and develop the next set of leaders from within
Development Practices and Culture
- Improving our development process, with a focus on regular high quality releases that align with our business priorities
- Developing a process for experimentation where engineers are empowered to rapidly test and deploy their ideas
- Championing a culture of measurement, accountability and quality
Operations, Security and IT
- Continuing to evolve our security practices and resourcing to meet the needs of protecting our community
- Maintaining and optimizing our budget of infrastructure and software tools
- Supporting the organization with the internal productivity and collaboration tools to complete their jobs effectively across four offices
Strava is seeking strong technical leadership and management experience, typically defined by:
- Leadership of a large (at least 50, ideally 100+), growing team of engineers through several evolutions of process and organization
- Significant experience with a global scaled mobile application
- Technical depth in personalization, scaling, app performance, analytics and API platforms
- Outstanding people manager; ability to influence and engage direct, indirect reports and peers
- Track record of mentorship at a distinguished engineering company and developed a set of engineering management best practices
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and an ability to interface with senior management, Strava’s board of directors, and staff
- Passion for Strava’s mission
Backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, Strava is expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. By joining our team, you will help push Strava forward in fresh, innovative ways. You will engage in interesting and challenging work that will improve the lives of our athletes every day. And in the same way that Strava is deeply committed to unlocking the potential of our athletes, we are dedicated to providing a world-class workplace where our employees can grow and thrive. Join us!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.