Strand Therapeutics is an early-stage biotechnology company utilizing synthetic biology to genetically program mRNA to deliver truly revolutionary immunotherapies.
Building on the idea of creating smart therapies based on Boolean logic circuits, Strand was started by biological engineers working together at MIT who were seeking to apply the concept of the emerging field of mRNA therapeutics. This collaboration led them to build their own mRNA “programming language,” creating the world’s first platform for mRNA smart therapies.
The founders and scientific advisors of Strand Therapeutics are made up of well-known and highly regarded individuals in both academia and the biotech industry. Our corporate headquarters is located in the Fenway district of Boston, Massachusetts with an additional site based in Watertown, Massachusetts.
Become the next standout single strand!
Strand is looking to build a team that understands the value of working at a start-up. Joining the company now means having vast opportunities to learn and grow including having the exposure to all aspects of building a company. We are looking for people who have the enthusiasm and motivation to be a highly contributing member of a small team. This opportunity will offer the employee the ability to work closely with the founding team, as well as to form close partnerships with team members during the development and formation of the company.
We are looking for an Associate Scientist to join the Translational Biology group to conduct proof-of-concept, validation, and downstream pharmacology studies to support multiple pre-clinical programs. You will be passionate about scientific discovery, undeterred by bold challenges, and enjoy working as a team to develop the next generation of mRNA medicines. You should be highly organized, a critical thinker, adaptable to changing priorities, and possess a strong ability to collaborate effectively with teams of diverse backgrounds.
- Execute in vivo and ex vivo oncology studies to support early discovery to pre-clinical development efforts.
- Develop ex vivo sample processing protocols and execute multiparameter spectral (Cytek Aurora) flow cytometry assays to analyze immune cells responses for drug discovery.
- Perform efficacy, biodistribution, toxicity, and imaging studies using a variety of rodent oncology models.
- Support with humanized and patient derived xenograft mouse model development.
- Ensure data collection is captured in electronic laboratory notebooks and databases.
- Assist with data collection, summarizing results in study reports, and providing regular updates at internal meetings.
- B.S. or M.S. in Biological Sciences, Bioengineering or related discipline.
- 1-3 years of experience working with onco-pharmacology and flow cytometry analysis in a biotechnology, pharma, CRO or academic setting.
- Strong laboratory experience and expertise working with a variety of sample types including whole blood, PBMC, tumors, cell lines and single-cell suspensions from tissue samples.
- Strong theoretical and practical understanding of flow cytometry with experience in design and execution of >12 color panels.
- Experience with two or more techniques: immunofluorescence, MSD, qRT-PCR, mammalian cell-culture and cell-based assays to evaluate novel treatment strategies.
- Ability to write, edit, and follow protocols and standard operating procedures, make careful detailed observations, maintain clear and complete records of lab work.
- Experience in writing pharmacology reports desirable.
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Graphpad Prism, FlowJo and ELN/LIMS for data entry, analysis, and presentation.
- High level of integrity and adherence to strict compliance standards.
- Experience with multi-parameter flow cytometry-based analysis of immune cells and tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs).
- 1+ years of industry experience.
- Experience with syngeneic, humanized, orthotropic, and/or patient derived xenografts models.
- Familiarity with in vivo imaging techniques (e.g., IVIS).
- Prior experience with necropsies and blood collection.
- Experience with various administrations via IV, IP, and SC dosing routes for cell and drug delivery.
- Experience with surgical procedures to establish and maintain humanized and PDX mouse colonies.
Strand offers a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, team-focused work environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, vacation, 401k, and commuter) and work/ life integration. Being part of the Strand team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to meet the company goals.
Strand Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable law. Strand does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with role and experience