STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Lead Designer role exists to contribute to each theme’s narrative purpose and support STORY at Macys’ brand objectives." This role is responsible for creating the visual identity of each of our stories. Each theme’s narrative drives a new look and feel, allowing the designer to play in a new sandbox every two months. Our goal is to create a cohesive system that brings each story to life in a compelling and unique way, while still connecting to our overarching brand identity. The graphic design of each story is an important element in communicating the narrative. It will apply to the design of stores, installations, signage, motion graphics, digital displays, emails, events and invitations.
Additionally, executing marketing campaigns are an important responsibility of this role. You will need to be able to concept campaigns across several channels: OOH (think bus wraps and wild postings) to digital campaigns on social. An obsessive awareness of new ways to utilize social platforms is a plus.
A typical day for this role might include participating in a design brainstorm for an upcoming theme, developing an email blast for an event, thinking through the in-store graphics program, presenting campaign concepts, and generally reacting to the fast-paced design needs of the STORY at Macy’s business. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team of expert colleagues working in new ways—more agile and more adaptive—so throw the old playbook away. This role reports to the Head of Creative Strategy and collaborates closely with our Director of Marketing, Director of Events and Director of Sponsorships
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Concept, develop and execute a wide variety of assets for in-store, digital applications, website needs, marketing and PR initiatives, digital ads, mobile, and social media channels, on-site events, campaigns.
- Support social media, events and engagement with graphic assets.
- Follow and maintain brand identity characteristics, typography, photography, color etc.
- Work closely with all design team members in a collaborative environment.
- Concept and execute innovative campaigns to elevate the STORY at Macy’s brand through a multitude of channels.
- Work with the production team to ensure the design direction is realized all the way from inception to final delivery.
- Maintain brand consistency throughout all projects.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it.
- 5-8 years of experience as a graphic designer.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to adapt quickly.
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Strong communication, both in-person and through modern tools and platforms.
- Deep empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice.
- Cross-functional exposure and experience in past roles.
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones.
- This position involves regular walking, standing, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
- REQUIREMENT: Please note that only applications with portfolios attached or linked to website will be considered.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.