Once upon a time, a store in NYC named STORY created an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. We believed that shopping could be more than just about buying things. We decided to act like a magazine, change our theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks. Our neighbors at Macy’s saw an opportunity to take what we had created inside one store and take it to the rest of America - and in April 2018, STORY officially joined the Macy’s family. Our address has now changed to 36 Macy’s stores across the country, but our community-centered mission and ever-changing DNA is very much the same.
STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Integrated Merchandising Assistant is responsible for supporting the merchandising team in the development and execution of its strategies. The Assistant will be exposed to new ways of working and new models for delivering narrative, cross-category merchandising at scale. Key requirements are to demonstrate curiosity, agility and bias for action in a fast-paced startup business environment, as well as attention to detail and flawless execution.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Execute merchandising plans including vendor management, order management and tracking, and coordination with other Macy’s Merchandising teams.
- Coordinate line reviews, style outs, and market appointments.
- Prepare and review reporting and recommend actions at the class / category, style, and program levels to maximize sales and profit through changes to buying, planning, and execution.
- Partner with Planning to develop class plans and style/sku plans; to align assortment, placement and order entry timing; to manage assortment allocation for new and replenishment orders; and to forecast changes that may impact inventory.
- Work with the team to co-author new ways of presenting our brand to customers through marketing, store merchandising, services and experiences, and technology.
- Develop trust and build collaborative relationships with the supplier community, other teams across Macy’s, and within the Brand Experience team.
- Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2+ years of experience working within cross-functional merchant roles.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to proactively manage varied merchant support tasks.
- Strong written and verbal communication, both in-person and through modern tools and platforms.
- Strong financial acumen and analytics skills
- Ability to make sound decisions using equal parts intuition and data.
- Comfort blazing new paths and inviting others to follow.
- This position may involve regular walking, standing, hearing, talking, stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.