HSQ, Manager, Training
Once upon a time, a store in NYC named STORY created an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. We believed that shopping could be more than just about buying things. We decided to act like a magazine, change our theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks. Our neighbors at Macy’s saw an opportunity to take what we had created inside one store and take it to the rest of America - and in April 2018, STORY officially joined the Macy’s family. Our address has now changed to 36 Macy’s stores across the country, but our community-centered mission and ever-changing DNA is very much the same.
STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Manager of Training exists to oversee all associated product and customer experience training programs. This role is unlike a typical Training Manager role because of STORY’s unique value proposition in customer-facing storytelling and customer experience. You’ll be challenged to create and implement programming designed to provide the necessary tools for all customer facing-roles to carry out STORY’s brand pillars: engagement, community and versatility.
And, you’ll also be part of a cross-functional team of expert colleagues working in new ways—more agile, more adaptive, more human—so throw the old playbook away. A typical day for this role might include working one on one with STORYtellers,and creating content a guides for an upcoming STORY regular collaboration with Director of Training and Herald Square STORY Managers. In the end, it’s all about knowledge and engagement. This role reports to the District Manager, HSQ.
In addition to the responsibilities that come along with being part of five person management team at STORY at Macy’s Herald Square, which includes, but is not limited to, leading the sales floor to maintain focus throughout the day on achieving sales goals and overseeing overall operation of the selling space in an efficient manner, while achieving and maintaining the brand standards, the Manager of Training will be responsible for developing product-focused and customer experience training for Herald Square STORYtellers and designing on boarding content and processes for new hires
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- A minimum of 5 years of retail experience.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Effective written and verbal skills, ability to interpret instructional documents, such as reports and manuals.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and as part of a team and must have good time management skills.
- This position involves constant moving, talking, hearing, reaching, standing for at least two consecutive hours, lifting at least 30 lbs and may occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders.
- Optical abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to function as part of a team and collaborate with team members.
- Possess a strong sense of urgency.
- Must enjoy meeting and interacting with customers.
- Possess a thirst for learning.
- Should be comfortable with the use of computers and frequent use of RF equipment.
- Cross-functional exposure and experience in past role
- Financial and operational acumen
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones
- Flexible with scheduling and available to work retail hours, which may include day, evening, weekends, and/or holidays, based on department and store/company needs
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.