Once upon a time, a store in NYC named STORY created an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. We believed that shopping could be more than just about buying things. We decided to act like a magazine, change our theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks. Our neighbors at Macy’s saw an opportunity to take what we had created inside one store and take it to the rest of America - and in April 2018, STORY officially joined the Macy’s family. Our address has now changed to 36 Macy’s stores across the country, but our community-centered mission and ever-changing DNA is very much the same.
STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This Manager will report to the Regional Director and will oversee, manage and execute functions related to the designated Brand Experience in-store retail business. S/he is responsible for the overall daily operations of the Brand Experience retail space and success of all its store employees. S/he will oversee a team of Storyteller colleagues in driving strong sales and delivering our unique experience to customers. S/he will lead an enthusiastic staff with positive energy and authority to motivate high levels of performance across the entire team. S/he will have a direct and consistent line of communication with the Macy’s Store Manager and Brand Experience team Regional Director.
The Manager of Visual will manage all the visual merchandising and store design aspects of an active theme and will lead the visual merchandising process during all theme changeovers. This person will be responsible for documenting, maintaining and training all staff on STORY at Macy’s standards and will work closely with the Manager of Operations to ensure that all understock and backstock locations are maintained, organized and optimized for maximum replenishment efficacy. The position entails managing and working closely with sales staff to meet visual merchandising standards and training process for each story.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Visual - Lead floor set for each new STORY, during installation/buildout. Maintain and refresh visual merchandising throughout a theme. Maintain visual prop area, tools and off-site storage, updating inventory lists. Create and manage Store Guidelines for store.
Sales, Leadership and Training - Leads the sales floor to maintain focus throughout the day on achieving sales goals. Coaches strong selling and customer engagement behaviors and maintains the highest standards of customer service. Develops and reinforces sales initiatives in collaboration with store and Brand Experience team leaders.
Store Operations Oversee overall operation of the selling space in an efficient manner, while achieving and maintaining the brand standards. Assuring the highest level of customer service and upkeep of physical space. Upholds best practices for managing inventory, maintain stock rooms, ensures the floor is properly re-stocked throughout day and at close. Establish a daily replenishment system for the sales floor.
Theme Changeover Period - Liaise with broader store management and back of house teams to ensure clear communication and understanding of timelines. Maintain clear communication with broader Brand Experience team including Regional Director, Event and Training Directors to ensure updated information associated with new theme is received (e.g. visual merchandising guidelines, product shipment information, event playbook, product training). Guide and support sales colleagues through reverse logistics process, assemble new floor coverings, receive new merchandise, set up back-stock, store-build-out, and lead all other changeover functions as necessary. Leads by example by enthusiastically participating in all functions as necessary for each specific changeover.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of retail experience.
- Solid experience in field visual merchandising
- Strong experience in customer service oriented retail environment
- Lead in the area of Visual Merchandising to the field team to ensure a consistent customer experience.
- Target training requirement of store management where further development is required in specific areas of merchandising.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it
- Ability to inspire others to action through influence and advice
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Effective written and verbal skills, ability to interpret instructional documents, such as reports and manuals.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Self-starter, able to work independently and as part of a team and must have good time management skills.
- This position involves constant moving, talking, hearing, reaching, standing for at least two consecutive hours, lifting at least 30 lbs and may occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders.
- Optical abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to function as part of a team and collaborate with team members.
- Possess a strong sense of urgency.
- Must enjoy meeting and interacting with customers.
- Possess a thirst for learning.
- Should be comfortable with the use of computers and frequent use of RF equipment.
- Flexible with scheduling and available to work retail hours, which may include day, evening, weekends, and/or holidays, based on department and store/company needs.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.