Once upon a time, a store in NYC named STORY created an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. We believed that shopping could be more than just about buying things. We decided to act like a magazine, change our theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks. Our neighbors at Macy’s saw an opportunity to take what we had created inside one store and take it to the rest of America - and in April 2018, STORY officially joined the Macy’s family. Our address has now changed to 36 Macy’s stores across the country, but our community-centered mission and ever-changing DNA is very much the same.
STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Manager of Social Media exists to manage the STORY at Macy’s social media accounts and develop content as it relates to STORY at Macy’s for the main Macy’s channels and other partner channels (e.g. malls, brands). This role is unlike a typical social media manager role because it encompasses a broad scope covering content development, execution, requires close collaboration across multiple functions internally and externally, and are required to develop content that speak to a range of audiences. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team of colleagues working in new ways—more agile and more adaptive—so throw the old playbook away. A typical day for this role might include spending time with our merchandising team to learn about product highlights, partnering with Macy’s social team and our Facebook/Instagram partners to review performance, post instagram stories at new story launches, and sharing social assets with our brand partners to post on their channels. In the end, it’s all about being proactive, thinking outside of the traditional mold, figuring out new ways to accomplish things more efficiently and effectively. Raise your hand and adopt an owner mindset! This role reports to the Director of MArketing within the Brand Experience team.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Support the Director of Integrated Marketing in the conceptual development of original content for organic and paid social
- Translate campaign assets and external messaging to use in social channels while maintaining our brand voice
- Create compelling and original social-first content for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter (Including but not limited to GIFs, illustrations, sizzles, animations, teasers, and videos)
- Develop a pipeline of social content to ensure consistently engaging content that reflects our brand voice, resonates with target audiences, and reinforce key messages
- Create engaging templates for Instagram stories
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- You are trend focused, on top of the cultural beat, a relationship builder, thinks outside the box, and data driven.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it.
- 2-4 years’ experience designing social first content.
- A well-rounded portfolio that showcases an on-brand aesthetic that lends well to a range of audiences.
- Understanding of storytelling and what makes an engaging story on social.
- Proficiency with using a DSLR Camera.
- A plus if you are fluent in Adobe CC Programs (Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Ability to work at speed in a fast turnaround environment, without sacrificing quality of content.
- Ability to be flexible, this is a startup within Macy’s - we are scrappy and act quickly!
- This position involves regular walking, standing, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Created Date: 4/22/2019 Updated Date: 4/23/2019