Once upon a time, a store in NYC named STORY created an entirely different type of immersive retail experience. We believed that shopping could be more than just about buying things. We decided to act like a magazine, change our theme and merchandise every 4-8 weeks. Our neighbors at Macy’s saw an opportunity to take what we had created inside one store and take it to the rest of America - and in April 2018, STORY officially joined the Macy’s family. Our address has now changed to 36 Macy’s stores across the country, but our community-centered mission and ever-changing DNA is very much the same.
STORY at Macy’s is a store to explore, an ever-changing retail concept that brings a new theme to life every couple of months, through a mix of new products and events for all ages. Think: kids crafting sessions, mixology class, makeup tutorials, and meet and greets with your favorite author. We’re also the best spot to explore fun, tasty, colorful, playful, surprising, gifts for everyone - including Y-O-U. We’re very big on supporting small businesses, obsessed with great stories and we believe that entrepreneurs have so much to tell us all.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will join our team of retail disruptors on a growth adventure. You’ll be pioneering a new narrative experience that brings the essence of the original STORY to life inside America’s most iconic department store. As the VP of STORYtelling, you’ll serve as a key member of the STORY leadership team, responsible for our brand identity, creative assets, and marketing activations, as well as collaboration with, and creative integration of, corporate sponsorship and event programming. Our ideal candidate has a bias for action, thinks non-linearly, solves problems creatively, and thrives in ambiguity. This role reports to the VP of STORY, although our day-to-day collaboration is anything but hierarchical. Join us in a bold adventure to write the next chapter and shape the future of retail together!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Driving the creative brand positioning and customer experience to represent the best of immersive retail at scale. Demonstrate thought leadership and drive our brand forward by defining ownable themes, messages, narratives, visual identities, campaigns, and experiences, that are reinvented continuously.
- Build and manage a team to produce game-changing stories. Each theme that STORY brings to life is not unlike a movie. You’ll be holding the vision and orchestrating the actions of a crew that includes creative services, visual merchandising, store design, graphic design, copywriting, marketing, media, digital experience, and training, as well as peer players in event programming and sponsorship.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders including Operations and Merchandising to define and manage the roadmap and bring new themes to life in store and online. Ensure alignment in vision and execution to ensure brand integrity is supported through all touchpoints.
- Take responsibility for how our brand shows up across channels - Establish guidelines and standards to create consistent brand standards across all consumer touchpoints. Seamlessly integrate new launches, product, events, and partners into the brand experience.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s Degree Required.
- Vision and passion—to see the future of retail and want to create it.
- At least 10 years of experience in design, marketing, innovation, and experiential across both brand and agency settings.
- Proven experience in successfully leading adventurous teams into the unknown.
- Endless curiosity mixed with an urgency to find creative solutions that stick.
- Deep empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Your right and left brain. A creative savant with good business sense. Meaningful experience overseeing budgets and P&Ls is a plus.
- Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk-taking regardless of outcome.
- An unrelenting passion for transforming the way we shop and experience physical spaces.
- Experience managing multi-partner relationships and product or brand launches.
- Exceptional strategic thinking with a proven ability to analyze performance data, business issues.
- Strong communication skills, both in person and through modern tools and platforms.
- Gravitas and the ability to persuade.
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Able to retain focus on vision and outcomes, letting others make decisions without the traditional hierarchical approval.
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent.
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones
- This position involves regular walking, standing, hearing, and talking. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
ONE MORE THING
We love people with special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? Be sure to let us know!
STORY is a first-of-its-kind retail concept that changes like a gallery, takes the point of view of a magazine, and sells things like a store. Our mission is to create accessible discovery at the intersection of community and small business.
This job description is not all inclusive. In addition, Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Created Date: 11/19/2018 Updated Date: 4/26/2019