What’s in store for the VP of STORYtelling?
You will join our team of retail disruptors on a growth adventure. You’ll be pioneering a new narrative experience that brings the essence of the original STORY to life inside America’s most iconic department store. As the VP of STORYtelling, you’ll serve as a key member of the STORY leadership team, responsible for our brand identity, creative assets, and marketing activations, as well as collaboration with, and creative integration of, corporate sponsorship and event programming. Our ideal candidate has a bias for action, thinks non-linearly, solves problems creatively, and thrives in ambiguity. This role reports to the GVP of STORY, although our day-to-day collaboration is anything but hierarchical. Join us in a bold adventure to write the next chapter and shape the future of retail together!
Here’s some of what you’ll be doing:
- Driving the creative brand positioning and customer experience to represent the best of immersive retail at scale. Demonstrate thought leadership and drive our brand forward by defining ownable themes, messages, narratives, visual identities, campaigns, and experiences, that are reinvented continuously..
- Build and manage a team to produce game-changing stories. Each theme that STORY brings to life is not unlike a movie. You’ll be holding the vision and orchestrating the actions of a crew that includes creative services, visual merchandising, store design, graphic design, copywriting, marketing, media, digital experience, and training, as well as peer players in event programming and sponsorship.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders including Operations and Merchandising to define and manage the roadmap and bring new themes to life in store and online. Ensure alignment in vision and execution to ensure brand integrity is supported through all touchpoints.
- Take responsibility for how our brand shows up across channels - Establish guidelines and standards to create consistent brand standards across all consumer touchpoints. Seamlessly integrate new launches, product, events, and partners into the brand experience.
Here’s what you should bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Proven experience in successfully leading adventurous teams into the unknown
- Endless curiosity mixed with an urgency to find creative solutions that stick
- We’d prefer at least 10 years of experience in design, marketing, innovation, and experiential across both brand and agency settings
- Deep empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Your right and left brain. A creative savant with good business sense. Meaningful experience overseeing budgets and P&Ls is a plus.
- Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk-taking regardless of outcome
- An unrelenting passion for transforming the way we shop and experience physical spaces
- Experience managing multi-partner relationships and product or brand launches
- Exceptional strategic thinking with a proven ability to analyze performance data, business issues
- Strong communication skills, both in person and through modern tools and platforms
- Gravitas and the ability to persuade
- Resilience, tenacity, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Able to retain focus on vision and outcomes, letting others make decisions without the traditional hierarchical approval.
- Ability to attract, develop and retain top talent
- Comfort operating in non-hierarchical cultures and navigating hierarchical ones
- Special sauce! Do you juggle, run marathons, plan secret dinner parties? We love to celebrate what makes us different.