Core Services Engineer
Project Kepler is part of Walmart’s Store No 8, an innovation hub formed by the world’s largest retailer focused on identifying and investing in trends and technologies reshaping the shopping experience. Project Kepler’s mission is to create step change in-store experiences, leveraging emerging technology to help define and deliver on evolving customer expectations. Its success requires a cross-functional, mission-based team that is highly entrepreneurial, collaborative and passionate about solving the unsolved problems.
As a Core Services Engineer you will be working with a range of cloud technologies, microservices, event sourcing, partner integrations and more. In conjunction with multiple product and technology groups, your services will work to create a best-in-class consumer experience in the physical retail space.
- Develop and maintain core services driving the Kepler platform.
- Develop and maintain integration level APIs.
- Coordinate among integration partners for deliverables and orchestration of products.
- Work with Product teams to shape inbound ideas into reality.
- Ownership of the architecture and code that you bring to a production environment.
- 3+ years industry experience, BA/BS in related Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent
- Or 7+ years industry experience
- Experience with cloud computing, microservices and event sourcing.
- Experience with storage technologies such as Cassandra, Cosmos DB, or PostgreSQL.
- Experience with stream/message distribution platforms such as Kafka, Azure Event Hubs.
- Comfortable with fast-paced development and iteration.
Our Privacy Statement for Jet websites
We understand how important your privacy is to you.
Our aim is to be as clear and open as possible about what we do and why we do it. Jet understands the importance to its users of their online privacy.
This Jet website is run by Walmart Inc. ("we", "us", "our")
Information we collect
You can have a look through the site without giving us any of your personal information (though, as mentioned below, we do automatically collect certain information with respect to usage of our site).
If you decide to apply for a position with Jet through the site or an agency, Jet will need to collect and process your personal information, including:
- Name, address and postcode - We need this to send you all of the recruitment information.
- E-mail address - We send a confirmation of your application by email. We may use e-mail or telephone to speak to you about similar vacancies unless you have asked us not to. We may also contact you by e-mail if you have only partially completed an application. But don’t worry. We won’t fill up your inbox with boring emails.
- Contact telephone numbers - If there are any problems with your application, or we have to clarify anything with you, we need to be able to contact you quickly. Again, we certainly won’t call you for any other reason.
- Your application – Well, we definitely need this so we can assess you. Such personal information will include details of your skills (including education, professional qualifications and training), employment history and referees. You should only provide the personal information required by our application template. This template includes a question about any adjustments that may be required should you be invited for an interview or assessment.
- Criminal records checks – For some roles, we might need to enquire about previous criminal convictions or carry out criminal records checks which are relevant to the role. If this is necessary, we’ll make you aware of this as early in the recruitment process as possible.
- Other relevant personal information specified during the online application process that is relevant to recruitment.
How we use the information we collect
The personal information you provide will be used to:
- Process your application.
- Consider you for the position you have applied for, and any upcoming vacancies that are suitable (unless you have opted not to be contacted in respect of subsequent vacancies).
- Fulfil Jet's legal obligations.
- Carry out internal record keeping.
- Provide general information (which does not identify individuals) and statistics to help Jet develop its websites and services.
- Make up part of your personnel records if your application is successful. However, this will only be for as long as it’s relevant to your employment at Jet.
- Approach your nominated referees for the purposes of obtaining references.
- Carry out equal opportunities monitoring (see below).
Where you provide personal information about somebody else, like your referees, you should always ask them beforehand to get their consent.
We also use information collected through cookies – the way in which we do this and the reasons why are outlined below in the section on Cookies we use and why we use them.
As mentioned above, we may keep your job application and use it with respect to any future jobs with Jet that become available in the future. If you don’t want us to do so, let us know.
When you visit our site, we will automatically receive your IP address, a unique identifier for your computer or other access device.
Our sites use a number of different cookies. Below we explain the cookies we use and why we use them.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file that may be placed on your device when you visit our sites. When you next visit our sites, the cookie allows us to distinguish your device from other users.
There are two broad categories of cookies:
- Persistent cookies
Persistent cookies remain on your device until deleted manually or automatically.
- Session cookies
Session cookies remain on your device until you close your browser when they are automatically deleted.
Cookies we use and why we use them
- Essential cookies
Essential cookies are technical cookies that are required for the operation of our sites. Without essential cookies our sites can’t operate properly. Essential cookies include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas.
- Performance cookies
Performance cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our sites and to see how visitors move around them. This helps us to improve the way our sites work by enabling us to tailor our sites to the way visitors use them. The information we collect from performance cookies is aggregated which means that we cannot directly identify you from it.
- Experience cookies
Experience cookies allow our sites to remember the choices you make. Our sites use experience cookies to provide you with enhanced and personalised features. For example, we use information collected through what are known as “web-analytic” cookies to compare the choices you make to those of our other users so that we can learn from those choices. Information collected by experience cookies cannot track your browsing activity when you leave our sites to browse other sites.
- Marketing cookies
Marketing cookies record your visits to our sites, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We use this information to make our sites and the advertising displayed on them more relevant to your interests. For example sometimes we use marketing cookies to limit the number of times that you see an advert. Sometimes we share information about your browsing activity, (which we have collected from cookies), with our advertising partners. They may use this information to advertise products, which may interest you, on other sites.
However, if you do disable cookies, it is possible that you may not be able to access all or parts of our sites. If you carry on using our sites and do not change your browser settings or disable cookies, we will understand that you consent to us using cookies as described above.
If you wish to opt-out of being re-targeted via display and search ads, and/or advertised to via cookies’ tracking, please click here to find out how to do so.
Who we share the information with
We may share your information collected through cookies with advertisers and adverting networks so that we or they can show you relevant and interesting ads on and off our services. However, we do not share information that personally identifies you (personally identifiable information is information like name or email address that can by itself be used to contact you or identifies who you are) with advertising, measurement or analytics partners unless you give us permission. We may provide these partners with information about the reach and effectiveness of their advertising without providing information that personally identifies you, or if we have aggregated the information so that it does not personally identify you. For example, we may tell an advertiser how its ads performed (e.g. 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their ad on any given day).
Processing by third parties
In order to carry out the steps set out above we may send your personal information outside of the European Economic Area and, if necessary, across international borders. The data protection laws in these countries may not be as comprehensive as in the European Economic Area. However, we have taken appropriate steps to make sure the same level of protection for the processing carried out in these countries as within the European Economic Area. Any details you provide may be electronically sent to the US to our parent company Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which helps us in running our websites. However, any such information will be dealt with in accordance with the Irish Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003.
Storage of data
We will not store your personal information for any longer than we need to. However, we may be obliged by law to store your communications and personal information including activity logs and we may need to show details of these to government or authorised officials upon request. Like many websites, we use log files to monitor the effectiveness of our online marketing programmes.
You have a right to access the personal information that is held about you. To obtain a copy of the personal information Jet holds about you, please write to us at the following address enclosing your postal details and a cheque for €6.35, which we are entitled by law to charge, payable to Jet Engineering Technology Limited:
C/O Talent Department,
Jet Engineering Technology Limited,
2nd Floor 1-2 Victoria Buildings,
You can also request that we update, correct or delete any inaccuracies in your personal data. You may also request that we cease processing your personal data where such processing is causing you harm. You can do this by contacting us at the above address.
We seek to ensure that we keep your personal information accurate and up to date. However, you are responsible for informing us of any changes to your personal information and other information (such as a change in contact details) as this is out of our control.
Third-party privacy practices
Our site may contain links to and from the websites of our trusted partners and trusted networks, advertisers, and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites or ask us to provide your information to a third party, please note that such third parties have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or such parties’ privacy practices or conduct.