SYSTEMS ENGINEER, SPATIAL&
“VR” is an industry buzzword right now. And the majority of the tech that has been created to date has been focused on the development of hardware and content for spaces such as gaming and entertainment… ignoring the range of possibilities available in retail.
This is the opportunity to get in early with a company currently being incubated in Venice, CA by Walmart's tech incubator, Store No 8. Spatial& was acquired by Store N° 8, Walmart’s incubation arm for developing capabilities that will transform the future of commerce, in February 2018. At Store N° 8, the Spatial& team will develop and explore the future of VR through the lens of amazing retail and shopping experiences.
In this role, you will provide front line support to our team of developers who are creating the future of retail VR experiences.
Top reasons to work with us:
- Early stage of rapid growth – we expect to double in size every 1-2 years; this is an opportunity to architect and shape the growth of our strategy, team, and product
- Startup feel with certainty of life – we live in a “ringed fenced” world, separate from the Walmart operating environment, but with the full commitment from leadership on our long-term strategy
- Long term vision – we are focused on building for a future that is years away from mass deployment, allowing us to forget about the limitations of today’s current technology and focus on the leapfrog possibilities
- Access – we are able to strategically use our affiliation with the Fortune 1 retailer to connect directly with the best and the brightest in the industry
You will love this job if you are:
- An optimizer - you find creative solutions to do more with less, always pursuing a more efficient workflow for your team
- Delivery focused - you excel at juggling multiple priorities and getting things done personally and through others on the team
- Customer focused - you go above and beyond to deliver what is best for the team you support with a positive attitude
- Comfortable with ambiguity - this is a start-up after all, so you should be someone who can create clarity in uncertainty
What you’ll oversee (and often do):
- Test and validate tools and techniques in production. Work closely with engineering teams in testing, and releasing new and modified software systems
- Provide front line support for developers and artists creating VR experiences including troubleshooting software and debug issues
- Support various IT projects and initiatives for the company in partnership with the Head of IT and Chief Technology Officer
- 3-5 years supporting software development or media production teams
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Experience with Windows/Mac administration
- Experience in Linux/Unix environments
- Experience with automation and CI tools
- Knowledge of VR, VFX or Game Development workflows
- Bachelor’s in computer science or equivalent experience
- Strong project management and communication with clients they’re supporting (3D team and Developers)
- Strong knowledge of Python, Mel, Shell scripting, Linux, Windows development
- Experience developing tools for 3d pipeline and/or game engines
- Database administration (e.g. relational or non-relational)
- Familiar with Unity (Editor scripting), Autodesk tools, 3D pipeline
Pay, perks & such
At Spatial&, we provide competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health coverage, a 401K plan and pre-tax commuter benefits.Of course, we also have start up perks like snacks, fun events, and a great office in the heart of Venice. We have weekly Friday team lunches regular all-hands meetings. We are a start-up without the typical risk profile of most startups - we empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big, long-term problems. We are proud to raise the bar so you can too!
Come join us!