CHIEF PRODUCT OFFICER
“VR” is an industry buzzword right now. And the majority of the tech that has been created to date has been focused on the development of hardware and content for spaces such as gaming and entertainment…. ignoring the range of possibilities available in retail.
This is the opportunity to get in early with a stealth company currently being incubated in Venice, CA by Walmart's tech incubator, Store No 8. Spatialand was acquired by Store N° 8, Walmart’s incubation arm for developing capabilities that will transform the future of commerce, in February 2018. At Store N° 8, the Spatialand team will develop and explore the future of VR through the lens of amazing retail and shopping experiences.
In this role, you will make sure we are as smart as possible with our capital and resources in order to make magic happen for our customers and partners.
Top reasons to work with us:
- Early stage of rapid growth – we expect to double in size every 1-2 years; this is an opportunity to architect and shape the growth of our strategy, team, and product
- Startup feel with certainty of life – we live in a “ringed fenced” world, separate from the Walmart operating environment, but with the full commitment from leadership on our long-term strategy
- Long term vision – we are focused on building for a future that is years away from mass deployment, allowing us to forget about the limitations of today’s current techn & focus on the leapfrog possibilities
- Access – we are able to strategically use our affiliation with the Fortune 1 company to connect directly with the best and the brightest in the industry
Who will love this job:
- An entrepreneur - you love building things and have an entrepreneurial spirit about everything you do
- A clear communicator - you know how to break down difficult concepts and make them easy to understand for all audiences (up, down, and sideways)
- A creator - someone who loves identifying a problem, envisioning a solution, and taking a hands-on approach to building it
- A true empath - you have an innate curiosity for, and a unique ability to understand the intrinsic motivations of everybody around you -- colleagues, users, customers, stakeholders
- A person obsessed with creating the ideal customer experience - you have a passion for retail and creating interactive customer experiences that wow your customers
- A strong leader - you know how to motivate your team to do top notch work and do it by working smartly while having fun too!
- A creative problem solver - you have the ability to think outside of the box and maintain a flexible approach to problem solving
What you’ll oversee (and often do):
- Creation and socialization of our long- and short-term product roadmap, leveraging market analysis and user research geared towards delivering the best user experience as it relates to our corporate strategy
- Definition and research of user needs, personas, and problem-framing in collaboration with our creative and business development teams
- Management of the entire product’s lifecycle--from strategy and conception, through roadmapping and prioritization, to design, build and sign off phases--including teams focused on:
- Product development: roadmap development and planning, feature definition and prioritization and product releases
- User experience: design and specification of new features with a careful eye on product usability and end user efficiency
- User testing & feedback: definition of user personas, user stories, and translation into product requirements; also includes development and execution of prototype process
- Analytics & insights: analyze the success of products through data and key metrics and be able to effectively communicate wins and opportunity areas to the broader team
- Hardware & haptics: market analysis of consumer and prosumer hardware devices cohesive for use with the product strategy
- Collaboration of the Product team with the internal creative, development, and BD teams, external clients, and managed contract vendors
- Manage and develop the talent, including recruitment, engagement, and well-being
- 10+ years in Product development, research, UX and analytics as a leadership role
- Success in an entrepreneurial environment with significant oversight of the company’s strategic direction, ideally within a start-up or high growth technology company
- Ability to envision a future where today’s limitations of VR don’t exist, and to plan for a future where distribution is not a limitation
- Deep technical experience, ideally within a VR and/or UX-intensive product company
- Track record of leading product teams to successful outcomes that align with the company vision, strategy, and roadmap
- Experience with, and passion for, rapid prototyping and development in a fast-paced environment
- Experience hiring and managing external agencies
- Experience working directly with development teams and proficiency in Unity, Maya, and version control software (Perforce is a bonus)
- Prior experience with both consumer-facing products and client-facing or agency-style B2B products
- Familiarity with modern analytics platforms (e.g., looker, tableau, domo, birst)
- Previous experience using both Agile and Waterfall development
- Superb communication and relationship skills, including the ability to work with and present to C-level executives and board members
What you can expect:
- High standards of work across all levels of the organization
- An entrepreneurial culture where leadership expects actionable insights from all levels of the organization
- A seat at the executive table with valued input into all high-level business and strategic decisions
- A mix of high-level strategy work and hands-on product building and making
- Rewarding work for people who like to shape the future of frontier technologies
Pay, perks & such
At Spatialand, we provide competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health coverage, a 401K plan and pre-tax commuter benefits. Of course, we also have start up perks like snacks, fun events, and a great office in the heart of Venice. We have weekly Friday team lunches regular all-hands meetings. We are a start-up without the typical risk profile of startups - we empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big, long-term problems. We are proud to raise the bar so you can too!
Come join us!