LEAD DATA ENGINEER
Jetblack is the first portfolio company within Store Nº8, the incubation arm of Walmart, which is focused on transforming the future of retail. Jetblack is a members-only personal shopping and concierge service that combines the convenience of e-commerce with the customized attention of a personal assistant. Our ultimate goal is to create a new standard of consumer shopping with the fastest most delightful end-to-end consumer experience.
Our unique positioning as the first stand-alone company incubated by Walmart gives us access to resources needed to have impact at massive scale and reinvent consumer shopping behaviors. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
Jenny Fleiss, the CEO and co-founder of Jetblack, previously co-founded Rent the Runway, a business that has transformed the retail industry by making designer clothing rentals a convenient and accessible luxury experience for millions of women.
About the job:
Data is core ingredient to our success in conversational commerce; the data lake developed by the data engineering team will materialize our customer interactions in a flexible and powerful way that drives our experimental learnings, product insights, and personalization research. Our ultimate goal is to create a new standard of consumer shopping with the fastest most delightful end-to-end consumer experience. Our unique positioning as the first stand-alone company incubated by Walmart gives us access to resources needed to support data-driven learnings and the ability to have impact at massive scale and reinvent consumer shopping behaviors. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
We're blushing. Some of our favorite press links:
You will love this job if you:
- Are passionate about technology and motivated by building cool things that bring tangible value
- Thrive in loosely structured environments and help create increased structure as we mature
- Consistently deliver and have an appreciation for practices that keep you from slowing down
- Play well with others and want to work with and inspire other great engineers
What you’ll do:
- Hands-on technical leadership of a focused team of data engineers
- Thoughtfully make trade-offs between immediate speed and future scale / stability
- Own the design and implementation of Jetblack’s production data lake, as both a store of our schematized event logs and a central source of truth for business users and analysis
- Optimize dataflows to power our machine learning practice for research and live systems
- Own documentation and best practices around data materialization and usage
- Implement audit and anomaly detection logic to guarantee the reliability of data views
- Thoughtfully partner with Product, Business Intelligence and Back-end Engineering to materialize new data products, serve as an expert on data schemas and uses to the rest of the business
What you should have:
- 7-10 years of industry experience
- BS / MS in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with Spark / Flink / Hive and/or Hadoop is a big plus
- Familiarity with a JVM-based language (Java / Scala / Clojure)
- Prior work with textual data, document/semantic indexing and natural language analysis
- Experience with SQL query optimization and RDMS data modeling; familiarity with NoSQL solutions a plus
- Experience with workflow schedulers (Airflow / Oozie)
- Previous work with microservices and containerization (Docker / Kubernetes) or cloud computing a plus
- Effective communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Team leadership experience
Pay, perks & such
At Jetblack, we function like a startup and have the benefits of the largest retailer in the world, Walmart. Our benefit package includes a monthly gym stipend, a generous parental leave program, leading healthcare options, 401k matching, and more! We offer unlimited vacation and a great culture filled with quarterly outings, happy hours, work out classes, celebrations, and clubs. We host bi-weekly lunch ‘n learns and weekly all-hands meetings. Most importantly, we empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big consumer problems. Join us!