SENIOR RESEARCH ENGINEER
Jetblack is the first portfolio company within Store Nº8, the incubation arm of Walmart, which is focused on transforming the future of retail. Jetblack is a members-only personal shopping and concierge service that combines the convenience of e-commerce with the customized attention of a personal assistant. Our ultimate goal is to create a new standard of consumer shopping with the fastest most delightful end-to-end consumer experience.
Our unique positioning as the first stand-alone company incubated by Walmart gives us access to resources needed to have impact at massive scale and reinvent consumer shopping behaviors. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
Jenny Fleiss, the CEO and co-founder of Jetblack, previously co-founded Rent the Runway, a business that has transformed the retail industry by making designer clothing rentals a convenient and accessible luxury experience for millions of women.
About the Role:
Success in conversational commerce requires optimizing the user experience to deliver service that delights. The research engineering team will creatively identify and leverage high quality, well-formed data to further Jetblack’s innovations through rigorous statistical/machine learning methodology and data-driven experimentation. Our ultimate goal is to create a new standard of consumer shopping with the fastest most delightful end-to-end consumer experience. Our unique positioning as the first stand-alone company incubated by Walmart gives us access to resources needed to support data-driven learnings and the ability to have impact at massive scale and reinvent consumer shopping behaviors. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
We're blushing. Some of our favorite press links:
You’ll love this job if you:
- Understand how data can drive innovation which can influence nuanced technology and visible product shifts
- Creatively innovate with scrappiness and are able to do a lot with a little
- Are passionate about technology and motivated by building cool things that bring tangible value
- Thrive in loosely structured environments and help create increased structure as we mature
- Consistently deliver and have an appreciation for practices that keep you from slowing down
- Play well with others and want to work with and inspire other great technologists and business partners
What you’ll do:
- Statistical and machine learning analysis of natural language data to drive insight and evolve the user experience
- Creatively identify efficient path forward to collecting and analyzing relevant data, guide initiatives to obtain supplemental data to accelerate innovation
- Partner with platform, data, and back-end engineering to develop tooling required for robust model research, retraining, deployment and validation pipelines
- Lead experimental design and rigorous scientific decision making; inferential analysis, A/B testing, statistical interpretation, metric definition, documentation of hypotheses and results
- Keep a customer focus in mind as we define our innovation roadmap
- Collaborate directly with supportive Product Management who mediate with the rest of the business and orchestrate supplemental data gathering
What you should have:
- 2-4 years of industry experience in addition to academics
- MS / PhD in Computer Science or a quantitative field
- Significant experience with machine learning - classification, regression and unsupervised modeling
- Knowledge of statistical hypothesis testing, randomized experiments, causal inference and time series analysis
- Experience with an object oriented programming language, agile software development lifecycle, automated testing frameworks
- Experience with data cleaning, preparation and visualization
- Experience with Bayesian statistics and/or natural language processing analysis is a plus
- Experience with personalization and / or recommender systems a plus
- Effective verbal and written communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills
Pay, perks & such
At Jetblack, we function like a startup and have the benefits of the largest retailer in the world, Walmart. Our benefit package includes a monthly gym stipend, a generous maternity leave program, leading healthcare options, 401k matching and more! We offer unlimited vacation and a great culture filled with quarterly outings, happy hours, work out classes, celebrations and clubs. We host bi-weekly lunch ‘n learns, weekly all-hands meetings and— most importantly— we empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big consumer problems. Join us!