Senior Data Scientist
Code Eight is making everyday shopping magical with a highly personalized shopping experience that brings the relationship back to retail and optimizes it for the digital world. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us as we have fun delighting customers, changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
Success in conversational commerce requires optimizing the user experience - what questions to ask, when, and how to deliver service that delights. Our data science team will creatively identify and leverage high quality, well-formed data to further Code Eight’s innovations through rigorous statistical methodology and data-driven experimentation. Our ultimate goal is to create a new standard of consumer shopping with the fastest most delightful end-to-end consumer experience. Our unique positioning as the first stand-alone company incubated by Walmart gives us access to resources needed to support data-driven learnings and the ability to have impact at massive scale and reinvent consumer shopping behaviors. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
We're blushing. Some of our favorite press links:
You’ll love this job if you are:
- Understand how data can drive innovation which can influence nuanced technology and visible product shifts
- Creative innovator who is scrappy and able to do a lot with a little
- Passionate about technology and motivated by building cool things that bring tangible value
- Thrive in loosely structured environments and help create increased structure as we mature
- Consistently deliver and have an appreciation for practices that keep you from slowing down
- A team player who wants to work with and inspire other great technologists and business partners
What you’ll do:
- Own data-driven learnings and experiments that heavily influence Code Eight’s product offering and key areas of innovation
- Lead experimental design and rigorous scientific decision making; inferential analysis, A/B testing, statistical interpretation, metric definition, documentation of hypotheses and results
- Work with data and machine learning engineers to ensure that Code Eight’s infrastructure design supports rapid experimental innovation
- Keep a customer focus in mind as we define our innovation roadmap
- Creatively identify “storytelling” opportunities from experimental results, communicate them in a rigorous and understandable format to inform product decisions
- Collaborate directly with supportive Product Management who mediate with the rest of the business and orchestrate supplemental data gathering
What you should have:
- 2-4 years of industry experience in addition to academics
- MS/PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Econometrics or a related field
- Experience with statistical hypothesis testing, randomized experiments, causal inference and time series analysis
- Experience with data cleaning, preparation and visualization
- Familiarity with a scripting/statistical language (Python or R) and analytical documentation (Jupyter/ Sweave)
- Experience with Bayesian statistics and/or natural language processing analysis is a plus
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases
- Effective verbal and written communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills
Pay, perks & such
We are the first company incubated within Walmart, but day to day sit independently in a West Village, NYC office. It is the best of both worlds as we leverage resources from the world's largest retailer (funding for our company, competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health coverage, a 401K plan and pre-tax commuter benefits), but also maintain a fast, paced start-up environment and culture. We are empowered and funded to tackle BIG problems in a rapidly changing consumer landscape and think long term about how we can redefine consumer behaviors and be the change that changes everything. The ability to impact huge numbers of customers in a short period of time is a unique opportunity as once validated, the software that we build, can be implemented throughout Walmart.
Come join us!