PRINCIPAL MACHINE LEARNING ENGINEER
Jetblack is the first portfolio company within Store Nº8, the incubation arm of Walmart, which is focused on transforming the future of retail. Jetblack is a members-only personal shopping and concierge service that combines the convenience of e-commerce with the customized attention of a personal assistant. Our ultimate goal is to create a new standard of consumer shopping with the fastest most delightful end-to-end consumer experience.
Our unique positioning as the first stand-alone company incubated by Walmart gives us access to resources needed to have impact at massive scale and reinvent consumer shopping behaviors. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
Jenny Fleiss, the CEO and co-founder of Jetblack, previously co-founded Rent the Runway, a business that has transformed the retail industry by making designer clothing rentals a convenient and accessible luxury experience for millions of women.
About the job:
Success in conversational commerce requires an understanding of the right questions to ask consumers to refine their product consideration set. Our machine learning team will creatively identify and leverage high quality, well-formed data to further Jetblack’s innovations in unique and exciting ways. Our ultimate goal is to create a new standard of consumer shopping with the fastest most delightful end-to-end consumer experience. Our unique positioning as the first stand-alone company incubated by Walmart gives us access to resources needed to drive AI / ML learnings and the ability to have impact at massive scale and reinvent consumer shopping behaviors. Our journey has just begun and we are building a hard-working passionate founding team to join us changing the retail landscape and driving technical innovation.
We're blushing. Some of our favorite press links:
You will love this job if you:
- Are passionate about technology and motivated by building cool things that bring tangible value
- Thrive in loosely structured environments and help create increased structure as we mature
- Consistently deliver and have an appreciation for practices that keep you from slowing down
- Understand how data can drive innovation which can influence nuanced technology and visible product shifts
- Creatively innovate with scrappiness and are able to do a lot with a little
- Bring unique expertise but have a very open mind
- Play well with others and want to work with and inspire other great engineers
What you’ll do:
- Be a major contributor to Jetblack’s strategic technical path in conversational commerce
- Creatively identify efficient path forward to collecting and analyzing relevant data, guide initiatives to obtain supplemental data to accelerate innovation
- Collaborate with data science team to experimentally validate algorithm accuracies
- Help to strategize and establish technical partnerships with others in the industry that can move our technology and learnings in a fast and exciting direction, customizing their technology and models for Jetblack’s needs as necessary
- Partner with platform, data, and back-end engineering to develop tooling required for robust model research, retraining, deployment and validation pipelines
- Help build out the team as needed
- Collaborate with product and data science team to evolve data tagging structures
- While being enmeshed in the data, keep a customer and product-focused mentality
- Think creatively outside the box with a bias towards problem solving and finding a path toward ‘yes’
What you should have:
- 7-10 years of industry experience
- MS / PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Math or related field
- Significant experience with machine learning - classification, regression and unsupervised modeling
- Notable publications, production applications or open source contributions a big plus
- Experience with an object oriented programming language, agile software development lifecycle, automated testing frameworks
- Experience with natural language processing a must
- Experience with personalization and / or recommender systems
- Effective communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Experience with Spark and/or Hadoop is a big plus
- Experience with Deep Learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, PyTorch a plus
Pay, perks & such
At Jetblack, we function like a startup and have the benefits of the largest retailer in the world, Walmart. Our benefit package includes a monthly gym stipend, a generous parental leave program, leading healthcare options, 401k matching, and more! We offer unlimited vacation and a great culture filled with quarterly outings, happy hours, work out classes, celebrations, and clubs. We host bi-weekly lunch ‘n learns and weekly all-hands meetings. Most importantly, we empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big consumer problems. Join us!