“VR” is an industry buzzword right now. And the majority of the technology that has been created in this space has been focused on the development of hardware and content for spaces such as gaming and entertainment, ignoring the range of possibilities available in retail. At our core, we are merchandisers and storytellers which drives us to believe that virtual reality has the potential to reinvent the consumer experience—with an experience we call contextual commerce.
We are looking for a forward thinker who can design outside the box and inside the headset to deliver amazing technologies and experiences in the emerging world of immersive and interactive media.
This is the opportunity to get in from the first day at a stealth company currently being incubated in Los Angeles by Walmart's tech incubator, Store No 8. Spatialand was acquired by Store N° 8, Walmart’s incubation arm for developing capabilities that will transform the future of commerce. At Store N° 8, the Spatialand team will develop and explore new products and uses of VR through immersive retail environments that can be incorporated by all facets of Walmart, online and offline. Our new venture is currently operating in stealth mode as we work out of our beautiful Venice, CA office.
We’re on a mission for an innovative and talented Virtual Reality UX/UI Design Director with proven experience and extreme passion for immersive, interactive and cinematic VR.
The ideal candidate must have a high caliber for user interface design across mobile, web, but most importantly, virtual reality. If you have a captivating portfolio of work that give your viewers chills, we want to hear from you! Attention to detail is a must but just as important, bias for action, thoughtful and creative thinker, someone who has bold ideas about design and thinks of user interaction and the future of technological interfaces are all attributes we consider the norm. If your goal is to create experiences that are intuitive and inspirational and your passionate about working on immersive user experiences, if you are excited to redefine how customers interact with retail, if you just want to create a difference in something that has been untouched, we want YOU to join us and help bring our VR experiences to actual reality!
- Create User Interface design concepts and media components for Virtual Reality devices that is captivating and intuitive for our users to utilize
- Execute interaction design and visual design as a part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Actively test new VR concepts and designs; explore all options
- Collaborate with your team to implement best practices relating to VR
- Combine UI and aesthetics to create functional and user-friendly interfaces enabling efficiency in user performance
- Ensure interface and aesthetic consistency across all platforms
- Drive improvements in usability and interactivity
- Research new technology, interface and interaction design trends
- Possess a strong ability to identify UX needs
- Formal education in Graphic Design, New Media Design, Interaction/UX Design or HCI, or equivalent experience in the related design field
- VR and/or game development experience is a must
- Strong working knowledge of Photoshop, Sketch, After Effects, Illustrator, Maya and associated design, environment and creative tools
- Strong conceptualization ability and visual communication abilities
- Exceptional design skills, production values and attention to detail
- Ability to create wireframes, visual design compositions, and working prototypes
- Demonstrated experience working with both creative and technical teams to take projects from concept to execution
- Resume and strong portfolio demonstrating experience in graphic design, interfaces, layouts and user experience
- Design of web applications that leverage emergent technologies, consumer electronics and/or mobile devices
- 3D modeling, rendering, animation, 360° video capture & stitching experience
- Familiarity with Unity and Unreal Engine
- Motion graphics design and production experience
- Understanding of Agile software development practices
- Experience in a fast-paced and innovative startup environment