Opportunity: Development Manager
Location: Stone Barns Center in Pocantico Hills, New York
Supervisor: Director of Development and Deputy Director of Development
Employment Classification: Full-time, Salaried/Non-Exempt
Frequency of Pay: Bi-weekly
Salary: From $65,000 - $75,000 per year
Schedule: Monday - Friday; the ability and willingness to work nights or weekends as necessary
The Development Manager is a dedicated, exceptionally organized, and integral member of a dynamic and growing fundraising team of four. Reporting to the Development Director, you are the operational lead on all things “behind the scenes” to keep our development engine running smoothly.
Stone Barns is at the start of a new chapter under the leadership of Executive Director Rick Parnell and a new framework of Innovation Labs driving the pursuit of our mission to create a more ecological food culture. Our Development Manager will bring a growth mindset to this entrepreneurial moment while simultaneously respecting our nearly 20 years at the forefront of regenerative agriculture and culinary innovation.
As Development Manager, you will be interfacing with all departments, especially Events & Member Services, Communications, Finance, and the Executive Office. We ask all Stone Barns team members to commit to fostering our culture of cooperation and to expressing the values we create together as a staff in internal and external interactions.
- Tracking development financials (income and expense)
- Liaise with Finance on reconciliation and budget tracking
- Represent Development in weekly Communications production meetings (print, email, social, etc.)
Individual Giving: Major Donors and Membership
- Operational lead on Annual Appeal and other appeal campaign as they may arise
- Prepare frontline fundraisers for meetings with briefing memos, presentation decks, solicitation scripts, leave-behinds and other meeting materials
- Ensure meeting follow-ups are happening via the moves management system
- Support Development Director on a newly established Major Donor Circles program
- Provide strategic leadership on the Membership program, with operational support from the Development Coordinator
- Serve as point person on the Membership benefits program, which includes members-only Cooking Classes, the Farm Share program (CSA for produce, flower Garden Kits, etc.), private Farm tours and more
- Operational lead on cultivation and stewardship events, including cocktail receptions, special Farm tours, etc.
- Supporting role in the Feasts at Stone Barns, our premier annual fundraising event series
Board of Directors
- Prepare materials for Development Committee and Board meetings as needed
- Support the Director of Development on strategic and ad hoc projects as needed, such as the Corporate Council, writing projects, etc.
This position requires extended periods of time at a desk on a computer and requires being able to lift 15 pounds at a time. In addition, this person must be able to access and navigate each department at the organization's facilities.
COVID-19 Health & Safety and Mandatory Vaccination Requirements
Stone Barns Center is committed to doing everything the organization can to maintain a safe and healthy workplace, including as it relates to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. All employees must follow the safety protocols SBC has put in place, which include frequent hand washing, frequent disinfection of surfaces, wearing face coverings in certain areas, and performing a pre-shift self health assessment. In addition, as a condition of employment, all employees are required to submit proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (which includes the original doses and booster shots).
- Commitment to and familiarity with Stone Barns Center’s mission
- Minimum 4 years of nonprofit development experience, with a preference for experience with major / leadership gift programs, development events, or Boards
- Tangible experience organizing complex tasks, tracking detailed projects, working in a collaborative environment
- A strong work ethic, emotional intelligence, integrity, and agility
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, multi-faceted projects and meet deadlines; to maintain composure and perform well independently in a fast-paced, collaborative setting, with attention to detail
- Comfortable working with a diverse base of supporters and stakeholders, including community leaders, volunteers, donors, other organizations, agencies, and corporate partners
- Strong writing skills and a love of grammar
- High proficiency and confidence using Microsoft Office suite, Google suite, and a CRM platform such as Tessitura, Salesforce, or Raiser’s Edge
- A capable communicator with a commitment to honesty, kindness, and building trust
- A team player with the ability to motivate others
Compensation and Benefits
- Stone Barns Center is committed to equity and inclusion throughout every aspect of our work and team. Our investment in education and development includes a salary commensurate with experience; 401k with employer match; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; generous paid time off; discounts on farm products.
- All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter, résumé, and up to three work references.
About Stone Barns Center:
For 15 years, Stone Barns Center and Blue Hill have demonstrated the power of farmer-chef collaborations to inspire change in the food system. We are now poised to deepen our impact and address some of the greatest environmental, health and economic challenges of our time. We have a bold vision to catalyze an ecological food culture that supports a thriving regenerative food and farm economy.
We will build on our longstanding work at the intersection of farmers and chefs to activate critical areas with the potential for exponential impact on ecological and human health, farm viability, and other elements of thriving food systems. In service of this vision, we will reimagine how we use our Lower Hudson Valley campus to serve as the R&D lab for the ecological food culture we seek.
Stone Barns Center is committed to equity and inclusion throughout every aspect of our work and team. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.