ABOUT STONE BARNS CENTER: For 15 years, Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture (SBC) and its restaurant partner Blue Hill have demonstrated the power of farmer-chef collaborations to inspire change in the food system. Stone Barns Center is now poised to deepen its impact and address some of the greatest environmental, health, and economic challenges of our time. The collective has a bold vision to catalyze an ecological food culture that supports a thriving, regenerative food and farm economy.
The product of a collaborative agricultural and gastronomic experiment, its seeds were planted in the 1990s by the Rockefeller family together with conservation planners, organic farmers, chefs, and many others who came together to set a common vision and purpose for the land.
The integrated partnership with Blue Hill Restaurant, Rockefeller State Park, and a multitude of academic, institutional, expert, and artisan collaborations have woven into a rich fabric of impactful initiatives and catalysts for food system change. Through research collaborations, workshops, conferences, convening, and enjoyment, Stone Barns Center has shaped the landscape and provided a valuable platform that has only just begun to realize its potential to influence resilient and sustainable change in the food system. For more information, please visit stonebarnscenter.org.
FUNDING: SBC has a 2022 projected operating budget of $13M, generated through earned and contributed revenue and endowment income (with an investment balance with an approximate current market value of $64M).
THE OPPORTUNITY: The Director of Finance serves as the organization’s finance lead. The individual in this role will be both a hands-on and strategic, participative manager who will lead and develop an internal team to direct financial planning and analysis while ensuring alignment with SBC’s mission and goals.
The Director of Finance will bring broad financial experience, ideally in the not-for-profit community; will have successfully managed a finance department including audits and gathering and evaluating financial information; and can effectively make actionable recommendations to the Executive Director, Board, and other key stakeholders to improve effectiveness and productivity and to identify and pursue potential new programs, services, and opportunities.
The individual in this role will have the opportunity to play a critical role in strategic decision making as SBC continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
The Director of Finance reports to the Executive Director, Rick Parnell, and leads a team that currently includes the Accounting Manager, Farm Finance Manager, and Accounts Coordinator. It is anticipated that the team will grow contingent with the strategic goals and aspirations of the organization.
- A real connection to and interest in the SBC mission.
- Significant experience leading accounting and financial analysis.
- Experience with and knowledgeable about not-for-profit industry standards and best practices.
- History of success delivering financial and operational solutions.
- High degree of organizational skills to manage processes, systems, and timelines.
- Knowledge of financial best practices and current industry trends.
- An understanding of endowment management and investments.
- Successful experience working with and engaged board of directors and committee chairs.
- Demonstrated success building, managing, and motivating a finance team.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and analytical skills.
- Experience with resource planning tools and financial planning systems.
- Familiarity with legal matters such as contracts, compliance, partnerships, etc.
- History of working in a dynamic, growing, mission-driven organization.
- A real connection
- A deep personal commitment to the values of health, ecology, and sustainability.
- A collaborative mindset.
- Energetic, creative, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Impeccable integrity, trustworthiness, maturity, and discretion.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field is required. CPA designation is preferred.
To apply, please share your submission below or visit howe-lewis.com and click on the “Assignments” tab on the top menu.