Reporting to: General Manager, with a dotted reporting line to Chief Commercial Officer
Location: China- home based role, significant domestic travel required
Job Type: Permanent, full time
The Business Development Director reports into the General Manager- China and the responsibility of the role is to further expand STEM’s market presence in China; STEM is seeking a sales/business development expert to grow its’ strong base of business by expanding our footprint into new clients. While business development will be the main responsibility of this role, the role will also require management of the MSA/procurement negotiations and developing initial scope of the project. The projects tend to be for global pharmaceutical organisations focussed on their China market, as well as local pharmaceutical organisations.
- Expand business footprint into targeted new China clients while also driving depth within these new clients through selling additional brands/functional areas.
- Leverage existing network while building new relationships to sell STEM services to senior decision makers within the pharm/biotech industry, which are generally at the Vice President level and above across marketing, sales, market access and medical functions.
- Lead generation and to identify and develop pipeline of opportunities throughout selling cycle to ensure best opportunities are prioritized and successfully converted to new business wins.
- Negotiate terms of Master Service agreements (MSA’s), including pricing for key countries/regions.
- Lead discussion on creation of proposals and process statements of work (SOW’s) leading to the generation of purchase orders (PO’s).
- Keep internal business development system (built on Salesforce.com) updated to provide visibility of activity and project pipeline/forecast.
- Leverage China STEM database to work on industry report and increase STEM exposure in pharmaceutical industry forum/conference etc.
- Work with China team to diversify STEM offering and explore broader clients
- STEM’s wide-ranging and innovative business model allows exposure to C-Level executives across the top Pharma companies, and the opportunity to tackle their critical issues
- STEM has a culture where people can have a real impact, underpinned by traits like autonomy, flexibility, trust and empowerment
- STEM has an excellent reputation with their clients, and as a fast-growing business, there are opportunities to expand and develop beyond the role when success has been demonstrated
- STEM offers the opportunity to move into more senior and / or above country roles for the right talent as part of their long-term career development
The ideal candidate will be:
- BA/BS required; MBA preferred.
- Demonstrated success growing a business through significant individual contribution.
- Significant experience (10+ years) in pharma marketing & sales, with deep understanding of connection between strategy and execution, as well as budgeting processes/timelines and internal politics within pharma/biotech companies.
- Ability to network at high levels, and be credible when interacting with senior individuals within client companies is essential
- Results-focused but very good interpersonal skills to win business while appearing relaxed
- Ambitious, ability to work independently but a good team player with good leadership skills
- Gravitas and interpersonal awareness to interact, challenge, advise and deliver solutions
- Ability to develop new relationships and earn the trust and admiration of others.
- Experience on both the manufacturer and consultancy side of the industry with a successful track record of developing business for a pharmaceutical services provider & an existing broad network of contacts in China is a plus, but not required.
STEM Healthcare is a dynamic, fast paced global pharmaceutical and life sciences strategic benchmarking firm headquartered in the UK and present across six continents. STEM have developed an audit process and built a benchmarking database with more than 500,000 face-to-face observations completed across 52 countries. The benchmark provided is unique in the pharmaceutical industry consisting of over 100 KPIs, while focusing on 2-3 key priorities during formulation of action planning to help clients further accelerate performance.
STEM accelerates performance, improves strategic alignment, and facilitates excellence in marketing, medical, market access and account plans strategy execution. Due to the unique, specialised and highly targeted offering, STEM is experiencing a rapid growth phase, and recruiting heavily across the world. New employees will be joining at a time where rapid career development and growth opportunities are expected, as the organisation works towards their mid and long-term goals.
Vision: To always be viewed as an essential partner in enabling our clients to reach more patients with their medicines
Mission: To accelerate high performance
Core Values: Brave, Honest, Performance Driven, Practical, Customer Focused, Caring