In this role, engineers are responsible for learning our ecosystem and practices, and then implementing solutions while working with and under the guidance of other DevOps Automation Engineers at Stelligent.
Requirements and Responsibilities
- 2+ years of technical experience in either development, operations, or full-stack implementations (does not include internships)
- Fundamental/academic programming capability in a high-level programming language such as Ruby, Python, Java, C# or other language
- 0-1 year successful customer engagements providing continuous delivery solutions, preferably employing AWS
- Fundamental navigation and use of Linux or Windows command-lines
- Conversationally familiar with core suite of AWS Services, especially those related to DevOps (e.g., Developer services, Management services, Security and IAM services)
- Academically conversant with Continuous Integration practices and tools such as Jenkins or other CI tools
- Academically conversant with configuration management automation tools such as Chef or Ansible
- Awareness of the essence and purpose of AWS Associate level certifications (Solutions Architect, SysOps, Developer). If you do not already have one or more AWS certifications, we focus on achieving that during a new Stelligentsia's first 100 days on the job
- Immerse yourself in the Stelligent U curriculum with the aim of quickly learning and applying knowledge and skills required of a DevOps Automation Engineer
- Learn and employ industry leading Continuous Delivery patterns and collaboratively work with other members to execute them to achieve successful continuous delivery solutions for Stelligent’s customers
- Collaboratively work with DevOps Automation Engineers who will guide and mentor you in both technical and professional practices
- Contribute to team-based engagements with customers
- You will be required to travel to client locations and deliver DevOps consulting services when needed.
This is a role designed for people who aim to quickly develop into DevOps Automation Engineers. There will be a lot of learning, sometimes in a formal classroom, sometimes with a mentor, and often in a self-paced and self-regulated environment. We are all about helping our customers speed up the delivery of software systems, and we constantly strive to improve the way we do so. If your first year goes as planned, you'll hopefully gain the equivalent of five years of experience. You need to be ready to "drink from a fire hose," and if you are, we guarantee you will love the challenge.
We are seeking engineers who appreciate and have experience with both development as well as operations (hence the current cultural buzz word, DevOps). We prefer engineers who have come from the Development side first, though we value the opposite path, and expect that for every three Dev->Ops types, that we will hire one Ops->dev type. We have found that the former tend to embrace the software engineering and development best practices easier than many people who have come from the latter model. That being said, as we get more and more engaged with established customers, the credibility of the Ops->Dev (both their experience and the burden of production responsibility) tend to carry a LOT of weight and gravitas.
Our engineers need to be ready to invest themselves in hands-on keyboard activity. They will be committing code to the likes of Git repos every day. We do not need “hand waving architect-only” types, though we like engineers who can both knock out code and be comfortable sharing large-scale and abstract concepts to a crowded room. We want hardcore, full-stack-aware engineers who are not afraid to learn the wealth of tools we need to employ and who are comfortable with a constantly changing landscape of tools and techniques.
They absolutely need to be able to communicate both verbally and in writing. A great deal of our communication is done remotely, and requires super clear thought, enunciation, and articulation.
Some - though not all - customers require a richer introduction than others, so engineers bound to engage with them may require secondary levels of vetting (e.g., interviews, projects, and background checks). Since this is a customer facing role, you should be comfortable traveling to client locations and delivering DevOps consulting services when needed.
Our engineers can live anywhere in the USA. Most of our customers require that we perform deep background checks. You should be willing and able to work for both commercial and government customers.
Engineers tend to work in teams of 2-3 (vs. solo), though once comfortable with the Stelligent way, we are comfortable letting individual engineers be on their own. That being said, it has happened that circumstances have resulted in a new engineer being engaged with a customer in nearly a solo manner (e.g., 1.2 engineers). We “live” in Slack, and even though everyone is in different places, we have a culture of open communication and sharing that makes up for the geographic separation and lack of formal office.