Interested in working on cutting-edge blockchain technology and creating decentralized and equitable access to the global financial system? Since 2014, the mission-driven team at the Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) has grown the Stellar blockchain network, an open-source platform that operates at high-scale today. Developers and companies around the world build on it, and the SDF team is expanding to support the rapidly growing and changing Stellar ecosystem.
We are looking for an engineering leader to help us scale Vibrant, our consumer mobile wallet. Vibrant started out organically as a crypto wallet app that provides inflation protection for Latin America and is now expanding internationally, including in the US, to unlock additional crypto financial use cases like yield, swaps, and cash-in/cash-out to traditional banking rails. As the head of Vibrant engineering, you will drive the strategy for mobile development at SDF, lead a team of full stack and back end engineers, and work cross-functionally with design, product and other engineering teams to identify, experiment and iterate on new features.
We’re looking to grow Vibrant to millions of users. The ideal candidate will have experience with full cycle development in a mobile app, broad experience architecturally, and prior experience with experimentation, release and deployment of a large scale consumer application in production.
This is an exciting opportunity to build an innovative mobile crypto wallet on top of a well-established layer one blockchain.
In this role, you will:
- Act as Vibrant’s “mission driven engineering leader;” bringing high energy, enthusiasm, and a positive, can-do attitude to the team. Lead the team through hands-on example and personal passion for SDF’s mission.
- Initiate, influence and drive technical projects within Vibrant ensuring our solutions are scalable, architecturally sound, flexible, secure and that technical debt is incurred consciously and repaid in a reasonable time.
- Promote sound engineering practices and process improvement within the organization, delivering the technical roadmap on time with quality and focusing on usability.
- Assess, build relationships with, and earn the trust and respect of the current team, while also continuing to attract talent and scale a world-class, diverse engineering organization based on established network and experience.
- Design and evolve the organization structure based on business needs and provide mentoring, coaching and sponsorship for your team.
- Partner with the product and UX teams and other cross functional partners to develop overall vision, strategy and roadmap for our engineering systems and product suites.
- 8+ years experience as an elite-level contributor in the software and technology world.
- A broad engineering background and deep experience leading full-stack teams in mobile development on both iOS and Android
- Hands on experience with React, React Native, Redux, Typescript, Jest, and/or Firebase
- Proven success developing and delivering complex, scalable, and highly reliable solutions.
- Experience leading products that involved integration with 3rd parties
- Strong experience in Scrum/Agile and an interest in helping the team develop agreements and processes around that methodology.
- Experience with and are a proponent of automated testing.
- Prior experience as an Engineering Manager or Director of Engineering at an established, high-growth technology company. Ideally you have served as an engineering leader in a successful, dynamic startup (startup experience is highly desired).
- A proven track record of building and leading strong engineering teams recognized for high productivity, excellent morale, and low turnover in complex and rapidly evolving environments.
- High integrity, principles, and ethics, creative problem solving skills, and the ability to ignite the creativity of others.
- BS, MS, and/or PhD in Computer Science or Computer Engineering is preferred.
- An experienced leader who makes people and teams around you better through direct yet kind feedback, effective mentorship, and proactive collaboration. You thrive when developing great people, not just great products.
- Able to define a technical strategy and direct teams to invest in our core technical foundation and developer velocity.
- Able to earn the trust and respect of the team on the basis of crisp execution, technical depth, hands-on style, and decision making ability.
- Someone who directs and inspires people to generate and implement breakthrough solutions. You are not afraid to take calculated risk and you bring a mentality of rapid innovation and the desire to attain big goals.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, hands-on environment; can simultaneously demonstrate strategic, big-picture thinking as well as tactical attention to detail. Technical, hands-on, and willing to roll up the sleeves to support the team as needed.
- Well-versed in data-driven and data-informed product development and able to think strategically and analytically to help solve complex business challenges under pressure.
- A person who understands the “inclusion” part of Diversity & Inclusion and can help us improve and maintain a great culture where the best ideas prevail, and everyone feels safe and heard.
- Driven to succeed, achievement oriented, self-motivated with high integrity, principles, and ethics. Values diversity of talent and thought in building teams.
- A good communicator and highly influential both externally as well as internally at the senior management level.
- Continuously deepening industry knowledge/expertise: While existing blockchain/fintech industry knowledge is not a requirement, this person is expected to learn the space and become an expert over time.
- Willing to learn as much as possible about Stellar and provide feedback on SEPs to Stellar Ecosystem to adhere to the needs of products.
Bonus Points if you have:
- Technical expertise in relevant industries including blockchain, cryptocurrency, fintech or payments.
- Competitive health, dental & vision coverage
- Flexible time off + 15 company holidays including a company-wide holiday break
- Paid parental leave
- Life & ADD
- Short & Long term disability
- FSA & Dependent Care Accounts
- 401K (4% match)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly gym allowance
- Daily lunch and snacks in-office
- L&D budget of $1,500/year
- Company retreats