Rapidly growing life sciences technology company
Ultima Genomics is a rapidly growing company that is developing ground-breaking genomics technologies. Our mission is to continuously drive the scale of genomic information to enable unprecedented advances in biology and improvements in human health. We have developed a foundational new approach to sequencing at scale that overcomes limitations due to the high costs of current technologies. We are well-funded and have raised approximately $600 million from global top-tier investors. Our team brings together unique and diverse expertise across multiple disciplines, from healthcare and life sciences, to engineering, to technology and software and beyond. We are a collaborative group of more than 350 employees, including successful entrepreneurs, chemists, hardware and software engineers, genomics and biotechnology experts, molecular and computational biologists, software and algorithm experts, and operations and commercial leaders. Join us to develop and commercialize technologies that unleash the power of genomics at scale and empower the future of human health.
We are looking for a highly motivated Mechanical Engineering Manager to join our team!
How you’ll contribute
- Lead the mechanical design of a complex multi-disciplinary system
- Build and lead a top-notch mechanical engineering team
- Lead design, development, validation, and transfer to manufacturing of complex instrument subassemblies with focus on fluidics, consumable automation, and instrument platform/BOS (frame, skins, harnesses)
- Collaborate with Mechatronics engineers, Optics engineers, Systems engineers and Manufacturing and Service engineers to ensure flawless integration and test at the subsystem and system level
- Work closely with and manage suppliers to ensure all design requirements are specified and achieved
- Resolve product issues throughout the product development life cycle via systematic root causing and solution validation
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- MS degree + 5 years of experience or BS degree + 7 years of experience
- Strong leadership, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Minimum 5 years work experience in 3D solid modeling
- Minimum 2 years work experience in FEA
- Minimum 2 years work experience in a managerial or other technical team leadership role.
- Experience designing complex systems with stringent reliability requirements, conducting accelerated lifetime testing
- Experience leading DFx (manufacturability, serviceability, cost, reliability) of complex modules /instruments
- Experience with a wide range of manufacturing processes (precision machining, plastics molding, rubber/silicone molding, sheet metal forming, welding, precision tube forming, extrusions, metal casting, 3D printing and other additive manufacturing)
- Strong engineering fundamentals in fluid mechanics and industrial fluidic processes (like mixing, jetting, spraying, dispensing), thermodynamics, and heat transfer. Experience designing fluidic temperature control systems – a plus
- Knowledge of fluidics and hydronic components such as syringe pumps, diaphragm pumps, peristaltic pumps, rotary shear valves, solenoid valves, bonded manifolds, automated pipette systems, fitting selection (like IDEX/DIBA, push-to-connect, barbed, compression, various types of threaded, etc.), flow meters, liquid level and presence sensors) – a plus
- Solid understanding of optical imaging systems – a plus
We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.