Rapidly growing life sciences technology company
Ultima Genomics is a rapidly growing company that is developing ground-breaking genomics technologies. Our mission is to continuously drive the scale of genomic information to enable unprecedented advances in biology and improvements in human health. We have developed a foundational new approach to sequencing at scale that overcomes limitations due to the high costs of current technologies. We are well-funded and have raised approximately $600 million from global top-tier investors. Our team brings together unique and diverse expertise across multiple disciplines, from healthcare and life sciences, to engineering, to technology and software and beyond. We are a collaborative group of more than 350 employees, including successful entrepreneurs, chemists, hardware and software engineers, genomics and biotechnology experts, molecular and computational biologists, software and algorithm experts, and operations and commercial leaders. Join us to develop and commercialize technologies that unleash the power of genomics at scale and empower the future of human health.
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist to join our team!
Join a rapidly growing startup that is developing exciting new genomics technologies. Our team includes serial entrepreneurs, biotech experts and big-data leaders. We are also funded by top-tier VCs. Play an important role in the development and commercialization of technology and products that will have a major impact on the medical and life sciences fields! The successful candidate will play a key hands-on role in the molecular biology-based assay and technology development.
This position is full-time and is based in Newark, California.
How You’ll Contribute
- Under minimal supervision, optimize reaction conditions and protocols to meet system performance specifications.
- Designs and performs experiments to test hypotheses related to project outcomes. Analyzes results, understand trends across DoEs, forms conclusions, and determines future experiments
- Characterize and evaluate workflow performance and experimental results through data analytics and statistical analysis
- Present data and findings for review, group discussions, and team meetings
- Develop a deep understanding of the interplay between molecular biology and system and distinguish system variability and performance deviations
- Work using best laboratory practices, maintaining well-organized and concise records of work performed and results
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Ph.D. in molecular chemistry, biochemistry or bioengineering, biomedical engineering or related field, or MS in similar disciplines with 5+ year of related industry experience
- Strong background in molecular biology and expertise in assay optimization, experimental design, and versatile laboratory practice is a must
- Strong background in next-generation sequencing based workflows such as library prep, target enrichment and data analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, logical and analytical thinking
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented team player, with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Work well in a fast-paced environment. Excellent time management, and a can-do attitude
- Proficiency with Python, MATLAB, JMP or similar tools for statistically analyzing complex data sets and automation is a plus
We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.