We are looking for an analytical athlete who is excited to solve our toughest operational problems.
States Title, a well-financed early-stage company funded by leading finance, technology, and real estate investors, is building a fundamentally new technology-driven business model in a critical $14 billion part of the residential real estate market. As a Business Operations Associate, you will have exposure to nearly every dimension of building out the foundation and processes to operate a fast-growth Fintech business. You will do this alongside a founding team with colleagues who have founded and exited successful tech startups, and been executives at Google, McKinsey, the White House, and more.
For the right high performer, States Title offers the opportunity to join a well-funded, early-stage startup in an enviable market with creative license to build out their piece of the business in a way that will significantly contribute to the overall success of the company. You will be responsible for solving important operational challenges, including business process design and customer journey-related issues. You will own all aspects of solving these problems - problem framing, research, validation/testing, planning, implementation and iteration. This high-performing individual will be based in our San Francisco Headquarters.
- You’re excited to work in an early-stage, entrepreneurial environment with high-caliber colleagues
- You are fired up to “go beyond” - solving the hardest operational problems AND driving your solutions through to implementation
- You want to get your hands dirty by learning (or improving at) what it takes to be an operator
- You are highly analytical: You form hypotheses quickly, know how to test them through a combination of quantitative and qualitative analyses, and always extract the “so what”
- You can build relationships and work effectively across functions, and with company customers and outside partners
- You always have a perspective on what to do next, and can reprioritize on the fly as new needs and information emerges
- You are experienced working with senior executives, and you know how to translate those interactions to tangible impact
- You can find information “where none exists” - including interviews, mystery shopping, and other creative methods of developing sources of insight
- You can absorb and synthesize information rapidly, separating the signal from the noise
- Identifying, solving, and quantifying the most significant operational (process and technology) challenges that stand in the way of achieving our strategic goals, including business process design and customer journey- related issues
- Owning all aspects of operational problem framing, research, validation/testing, summarization, presentation and implementation
- Hands-on execution, including negotiation with key business partners, configuration of technology platforms, reporting and analysis of business outputs from implemented processes, and responsive resolution of unexpected variables that arise when processes are implemented
- Drafting comprehensive plans for each key operational problem taken on
- Managing multiple projects at once with a constant mind towards re-balancing for current company priorities
- Traveling occasionally to do research, meet with customers, and/or support other executives for key presentations and meetings
- As-needed support to our Operations team on whatever needs to be done. This might mean taking customer calls. It might mean sitting with our software engineers to work out an operations solution to a technical problem. It might mean building slides for a sales presentation or board meeting. It’s whatever it takes to help make the company successful
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a quantitative and/or engineering focus
- 2-3+ years demonstrated success at a top tier management consulting, investment banking, hedge fund or private equity firm
- Strong technical aptitude and attention to detail; can confidently project manage a complex effort with many moving pieces
- Ideally has worked in either/both of mortgage and/or insurance industries, where you have gained some exposure to the processes/technology involved in mortgage and/or financial services
- Demonstrable wins in designing and delivering core components of success everywhere you have ever worked or studied
- Excellent interpersonal skills; people want to hang out with you once they’ve met you, and your team members proactively seek your input and guidance
- Outstanding presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- The ability to not be deterred - relentless in driving to impact
- Some additional, uncorrelated bit of “edge” that makes you stand out from an already exceptional field of talented candidates.
- Residence in, or willingness to move to, the San Francisco Bay area
We are working on something pretty exciting.
Our vision is to make homeownership simpler, safer, and more accessible. Our first step is reinventing title insurance.
We are unlocking an enormous business opportunity.
American homeowners spent $14.3 billion on title insurance in 2016. Less than 5% of that money went back into their pockets in the form of payments on claims. Instead, nearly all of it funded a slow, inefficient, and manual research process most comparable to a librarian searching a card catalog.
We don't see card catalogs at libraries anymore, and we believe we've found a way to offer homeowners, brokers, and mortgage bankers better service at a lower price.
We are making a genuine, real-world impact on the lives of millions of Americans.
Homeownership is broken, and we are doing our part to fix it. When most Americans sell or refinance the most valuable asset they will own in their lives - their home - they often lose a full 10% of its value to the fees and frictions that exist in today's real estate market. Additionally, the lengthy, bewildering, and unpredictable process incurs an emotional and stressful toll on first-time and experienced homeowners alike.
By simplifying and expediting services like title insurance, we can make the dream of homeownership more attainable and less risky, and we can help current and future homeowners save time and money that they can better invest into more meaningful parts of their lives (or back into their homes!). In doing so, we make things better for everyone involved: homeowners, lenders, realtors, and real estate attorneys.
Our approach involves overcoming significant operational and technical challenges.
If solving these problems were easy, someone would have done it already. Our approach requires bringing service, analytics and technology together in a groundbreaking way, and doing so in an industry that has historically lacked all three. This will mean applying creativity and flexibility to every interaction with customers and partners, while always looking for ways to make them - and, by extension, us - more successful. We don't expect there will ever be a boring day.
You will play a critical role in our go-to-market success, and beyond.
In your first 3 months on the job, you will…
- Develop critical parts of our operations, working across functions and with customers and partners to identify requirements and design operational processes
- Implement these processes, and closely monitor the performance of these operations out of the gate
- Cover all the bases as an early member of a startup
After that, you will…
- Refine go-to-market operations, including identifying and capturing efficiencies and customer experience improvements
- Build-out additional processes and operations as needed
- Inform strategic decisions around the future of our business post-launch
From here, you may…
- Move into a specialized Operations management role, recruiting, coaching, and managing a team of front-line employees
- Keep knocking it out of the park as a Business Operations Associate
We want the work you do here to be the best work of your life.
We believe the most valuable investment we can make - and the greatest boost we can give to your career - is to build an outstanding team of colleagues who are passionate about our mission.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent:
- Our passionate, capable team will always be our #1 benefit
- We are proud of the team we have built so far, and we are excited about the team we have yet to add
- Learn something new every day
- Get more done than you would anywhere else
- Highly competitive salaries and stock option grants
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Flexible work hours
- Unlimited vacation policy
- A modern, helpful 401(k) plan (thanks to Human Interest)
- Wellness benefits (Health FSA)
- Commuter benefits (Transit FSA)
We believe in equal opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.