Want to infuse a $25B sector of the insurance and real estate industry with predictive analytics and a tech-forward customer experience? Yearning for a startup culture within a profitable nationwide company? Join States Title and send an entirely new type of real estate model into the wild.
About The Role
States Title is looking for a Senior Director of Financial Reporting. This is a brand new role that will lead the external financial reporting, manage the preparation of financial statements and assist with statutory and related regulatory financial statement requirements. You will be responsible for all technical accounting guidance and analysis. You will own and be responsible for supporting the quarterly reviews and annual audit, as well as, researching, interpreting, and implementing new accounting standards.
What will you be doing?
- Oversee the design and buildout of potential SEC-compliant reporting structure and functions
- Ownership of accounting policies in accordance with US GAAP
- Prepare financial statements, footnote disclosures and relevant disclosure checklists
- Review financial information included in the company's external communications, such as those for investor/analyst conferences, earnings calls, and releases
- Relentless focus on timely and accurate financial accounting and reporting, process improvement and automation
- Prepare supporting documentation related to potential SEC filings and engage with auditors to achieve an efficient audit or review of the filings
- Monitor and analyze proposed rule changes and implement as necessary
- Provide technical accounting support for revenue recognition, IBNR reserves, investment accounting, valuations and impairment assessments, M&A, lease accounting, plus other critical accounting standards applicable to the business
- Work closely with FP&A and other members of the finance team to ensure reciprocal accounting treatments where applicable, and to install best practices across the accounting functions
- Drive improvements in the monthly close process including preparation and/or review of schedule and analyses for reporting packages
- Prepare for implementation of SOX controls and internal audits
- Partner with external auditors on major accounting matters, defend technical accounting memos, answer audit requests, summarize accounting issues and recommendations
What skills and experience do you need?
- Minimum of 15 years of experience working with SEC filings of publicly traded companies and/or National Office's SEC Services Group at one of the "Big 4"
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- Demonstrated ability to identify problems, develop solutions, and implement successful and maintainable process changes that improve accuracy, efficiency, and timeliness
- Must excel in a fast-paced start-up type environment
- Strong understanding of SEC, FASB and US GAAP rules and regulations
- Ability to conduct technical accounting research and document findings and present positions to senior management and external financial auditors
- Excellent verbal, written, and listening skills as well as ability to effectively use accounting knowledge to collaborate, guide, and interact professionally with a wide range of personnel at various levels within the organization to drive sound business decisions
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and high-pressure situations, while problem solving and effectively multi-tasking to arrive at the correct resolutions
- IPO experience is a plus
We want the work you do here to be the best work of your life
We believe the most valuable investment we can make - and the greatest boost we can give to your career - is to build an outstanding team of colleagues who are passionate about our mission.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent.
- Our passionate, capable team will always be our greatest benefit
- We are proud of the team we have built so far, and we are excited about the team we have yet to add
- Learn something new every day
- Get more done than you would anywhere else
- Highly competitive salaries and equity grants
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Flexible work hours and a flexible vacation policy
- A dynamic 401(k) plan and company match program
- Wellness and commuter benefits
- Sabbatical program
We believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.