States Title is a top 10 title and escrow provider that is intelligently transforming closings by applying machine intelligence to the age-old processes and procedures in the $25B Title and Settlement industry. States Title makes residential real estate simple and efficient, allowing lenders to close more loans, faster, and at a lower cost.
About the role
The Service Strategy Associate will be responsible for supporting key strategic and operational initiatives. They will be excited to join the ‘title and escrow company of the future,’ furthering the mission to make the home closing process as frictionless as possible for homebuyers, real estate agents, and lenders. This person will work hand-in-hand with a Business Operations Project Leader, Underwriting, and the Title Production System Team to expand our geographical footprint. They will provide deep title and escrow operational expertise in designing solutions to meet state-specific regulatory requirements for ‘setting up shop’ in new states. Additionally, as business needs demand, this person will be excited to advise a diverse range of projects, ranging from the operationalization of our new products, operational models, and new customers. This person will be excited and energized to frequently take on new challenges, learn new processes, and forge new cross-functional relationships. They will collaborate with their fellow Business Operations teammates and the wider Operations team to create an efficient, enjoyable work environment. They will be excited to work with a team with diverse backgrounds, both within and outside of the title and escrow industry. They will partner with Learning and Development to inform and generate training materials. They will provide invaluable title and escrow operational expertise to the larger organization, including the Product, Application Support, Marketing, Underwriting, and Legal & Compliance teams. Once safe under governmental and company policies, they can expect frequent travel to States Title’s state of the art operations center in Irvine, CA, the States Title HQ in San Francisco, and eventually, future operations centers across the country. This role can be based in our HQ (San Francisco, CA) Irvine, CA, or Remote, reporting to a remote manager.
What will you be doing?
- 80% allocated to serving as ‘SME-in-Chief’ for the State Expansion project:
- Act as the title and escrow subject matter expert (SME) in creating operational solutions to accommodate state-specific regulatory requirements
- Partner with Underwriting to understand state-specific regulatory requirements and the associated risk
- Advise key business leaders on the operational and business impact of new state-specific processes
- Partner with Business Operations Project Leader to design efficient title production system (TPS) workflows to meet regulatory and business requirements
- QC & test state-specific TPS workflows prior to launch
- Create digestible, approachable learning and development materials for operations associates
- Proactively create operational solutions for new or evolving state-specific regulatory requirements
- Establish strong relationships with key functions across business units in the company, including Underwriting, Legal & Compliance, Operations, Sales, Marketing, and Technology
- 20% allocated to informing other Operations and cross-functional projects as business needs require
What skills and experience do you need?
- 5-10+ years in centralized, national title and escrow operations strategy and management
- Experience working in title and escrow operations, playing many different roles across both title and escrow functions
- Experience in working on many different product types (eg., refi, purchase, etc.)
- Understanding of the balance between customary industry practice and regulatory requirements
- Ability to make business and risk decisions based on years of experience and exposure to state audits
- Passion to push the industry forward by questioning and contesting archaic and custom title and escrow practices
- Deep understanding of the title and escrow industry, specifically learned in a national operations environment
- Deep understanding of state-specific operational best practices in both title and escrow
- Ability to create effective, efficient operational solutions to meet complex regulatory requirements
- Superior project management skills and extreme attention to detail
- Ability to facilitate a path forward, balancing a diverse set of perspectives and priorities
- Comfort with constant change and leading projects with tight deadlines
- Excitement for learning States Title’s unique title and escrow operational technology and processes
- Bias toward ownership / action
- Takes initiative, wants ownership, and works until the goal is achieved
- Comfort working with a diverse team with outside-the-industry experience
- Comfort working in a distributed team environment, reporting to a remote manager
- Comfort or willingness to learn the following technologies: ResWare, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, Project/Product Management technologies (e.g., Asana, AirTable, Notion), Slack, Zoom
We want the work you do here to be the best work of your life
We believe the most valuable investment we can make - and the greatest boost we can give to your career - is to build an outstanding team of colleagues who are passionate about our mission.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent.
- Our passionate, capable team will always be our #1 benefit
- We are proud of the team we have built so far, and we are excited about the team we have yet to add
- Learn something new every day
- Get more done than you would anywhere else
- Highly competitive salaries and stock option grants
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Flexible work hours
- Unlimited vacation policy
- A modern, helpful 401(k) plan
- Wellness and commuter benefits, location dependent