Build the solution that transforms the real estate industry!
Want to infuse a $25B sector of the insurance and real estate industry with predictive analytics and a tech-forward customer experience? Yearning for a startup culture within a profitable nationwide company? Join States Title and send an entirely new type of real estate model into the wild.
States Title is a top 10 title and escrow provider, and through its family of companies - NATC & NATIC - is able to impact 90% of real estate transactions in the US. States Title is intelligently transforming closings by applying machine intelligence to the age-old processes and procedures in the $25B Title and Settlement industry. Making residential real estate simple and efficient, and allowing lenders to close more loans, faster, and at a lower cost.
About the role
The Assistant Controller, working with the Controller will be a critical role in designing and implementing processes and controls to ensure timely, accurate recording and reporting of business performance, to safeguard the assets of the company through the development of documented controls and procedures, and to identify and help develop opportunities to enhance processes, across all company operations. In this capacity, the Assistant Controller will oversee corporate accounting, the monthly close cycle and be instrumental in monthly reporting as well as the Company’s overall control environment.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures across the organization.
- Ensure policies and procedures are adopted within all areas with the operating finance teams to support implementation.
- Ensure the development of accounting and control resources across the entire enterprise.
- Assess productivity of existing shared service functions and identify opportunities to enhance value, accuracy and speed.
- Provide leadership to upgrade existing ERP/other systems in areas of accounting and financial control.
- Ensure timely and accurate closing of monthly, quarterly and annual management reporting in accordance with US GAAP.
- Partner with FP&A to lead the preparation of monthly reporting package(s) to the senior management and Board.
- Prepare quarterly lender update presentations and related materials and assist the CEO and CFO with presentation to external lender community.
- Communicate with Executive Management on the status of control frameworks across the organization.
- Manage and lead the external audit process working closely with external audit partners.
- Ensure the enterprise is well controlled while identifying opportunities to enhance process and controls.
- Ensure appropriate and timely filing of all lender reporting, including lender compliance certificates and related materials.
- Oversee tax operations for the enterprise and work with local tax manager(s) to ensure filings are done timely and accurately.
In addition to the Controller, this position will interact regularly with the CFO as well as a wide range of leaders across States Title. The Assistant Controller will also work closely with key operational finance professionals at the regional level.
- Relevant Experience: Ten years or more of experience in accounting and reporting, ideally within a regulated environment. In addition, experience working in public accounting (preferably Big-4) is required. Experience working with multiple business units and leaders is strongly preferred.
- Corporate Accounting Expertise: A right-fit candidate will have experience not only in complex businesses, but will have demonstrated ability with establishing a robust accounting and financial management controls environment. In addition, the successful candidate will be an active CPA.
- Strong critical thinking and business acumen: Strong judgment, problem-solving and analytical skills, including well-developed understanding of financial statements is a necessity.
- Effective influencing skills: Ability to work cross functionally at all levels of the organization and to manage and prioritize multiple tasks on very tight deadlines. Strong project management, strategic communications and/or change management skills are extremely important.
- Powerful communication: Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, including confidence and presence to engage effectively with senior executives.
- Systems and Processes: Experience with systems implementation work, enabling technologies and process improvements strongly preferred.
The candidate selected for this position will be a creative, out-of-the-box thinker who is intellectually curious with a demonstrated interest in learning. This person will also need to be a self-motivated, high-energy individual who can easily function in a high demand, performance-driven environment. He/she must be accustomed to working on multiple tasks in parallel. This professional must demonstrate strong leadership skills, best demonstrated by the individual’s ability to gain credibility with team members and senior management.
The successful candidate will:
- Be modest in nature, recognizing the accomplishments of the team before the individual.
- Be highly motivated and possess vision and enthusiasm.
- Be comfortable acting as an individual contributor and as a team manager (Player/Coach).
- Be a solid strategic thinker who can also execute and seek the best (but sometimes not the easiest) solutions
- Demonstrate the ability to set clear objectives and aligning team members to achieving established goals
- Understand how to deliver on short time frames and be committed to meeting deadlines “no matter what”.
- Possess an understanding of the big picture coupled with attention to detail
- Ability to remain focused in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Exercise good judgment and drive change for competitive advantage
- Have a sense of humor and an ability to balance the serious times and fun times
- Communicate in an open and honest way that quickly builds trust and respect
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Be comfortable on his/her feet making presentations.