Overview: Driven by the frustration of homeowners and mortgage originators across the country, States Title is building an innovative, analytics-driven approach to title insurance, one of the largest obstacles banks and borrowers confront when buying and selling homes. The title process adds significant friction and delay to closing a mortgage, and it provides a proven opportunity and market: Americans spent $15 billion on title insurance in 2016. Building on our initial focus in title, we aim to become one of the largest diversified mortgage technology and service providers in a larger $50 billion market of value-added real estate services.
Based in San Francisco and backed by top-tier venture capital firms (including Foundation Capital, Bloomberg Beta, and Fifth Wall Ventures), we’ve built a world-class team--and you’ll get access to a world-class network. Max Simkoff, founder and CEO, previously founded a global predictive analytics platform business, which he took from idea to acquisition by a large public software company. Our Chief Product Officer comes by way of the finance world, Google, and leading product at a financial technology firm; our Chief Business Development Officer and General Counsel comes directly from the White House; our Chief Data Science Officer is a tenured astrophysicist who oversaw the banking industry's premier fraud analytics group; and our EVP of Operations was an Associate Partner at McKinsey & Company, where he worked with the country’s largest insurers. Our advisors include a former U.S. Treasury Secretary, former financial regulators, and executives at some of the largest financial services and technology companies in the world.
Executive Assistant Role: We’re looking for a maniacally detail-focused, cool-under-pressure, analytical thinker to help our CEO stay focused on solving the company’s most complex challenges. This role reports directly to our Founder/CEO, and includes the following key responsibilities & activities:
- Management of CEO’s calendar and travel schedule, which includes frequent last-minute planning and/or re-routing to different domestic (US) locations.
- Ownership of key company events and projects for the CEO, ranging from our regular AllStaff meeting to the coordination of annual/semi-annual executive planning exercises.
- Comprehensive research and synthesis of conclusions into formatted insights for consumption by our CEO/executive team, under tight timing/deadline constraints.
- Parallel project management – juggling complex, interdependent miscellaneous projects with a constant eye toward rebalancing tasks and/or priorities.
- As-needed support to our CEO on whatever he needs done. This might mean building slides for a sales presentation, board meeting, or internal meeting. It might mean-cold calling mortgage banks. It’s whatever it takes to help make the company successful.
Candidate Qualifications: Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Functional Experience: Although we will consider strong candidates who have recently graduated from undergrad, we are ideally looking for at least 1-3 years of experience managing some (ideally all) of the key functions listed in the bulleted section above.
- Ability to Think Preemptively: Among the most important abilities for our ideal candidate is the ability preemptively identify upcoming issues or problems and solve them for our CEO before he identifies them. This is a unique skill, which requires a very close attention to detail and a passion for solving problems before they occur or are identified.
- Detail-Obsessed: A never-ending, consistent focus on the small items that most people would miss on the first look. It is nearly impossible for anyone who has ever worked with you to remember a time when you missed a minutiae-level detail or weren’t on top of dependencies that could have de-railed an important outcome.
- Track Record of Success: Demonstrable wins in designing and delivering core components of success everywhere they’ve ever worked or studied.
- Personal Alpha: Some additional, un-correlated bit of “edge” that makes you stand out from an already exceptional field of talented candidates.
How to apply: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter that specifically addresses how you would meet or exceed the 5 numbered requirements in the “Candidate Qualifications” section above.
Compensation for this role is highly competitive, including cash, equity, and full benefits.