Create the model that transforms an industry
Want to bring a $15B sector of the insurance industry into the 21st century? Yearning for a startup built around machine learning? Join States Title and send an entirely new type of real estate model into the wild.
Every mortgage or refinance transaction needs title insurance. The current incumbents pay only 5% of their intake as claims; they spend about 85% running a manual process that involves frequent paper searches and phone calls for millions of mortgages every year.
States Title is modernizing this antiquated process and will scale rapidly to grab a large fraction of the market. By bringing data science to title insurance, we can repurpose those wasted billions towards making homeownership easier and less risky, helping people invest time and money into more meaningful parts of their lives.
We're growing our data science team at all levels
As a data scientist at States Title, you'll take part in a fun, diverse, and respectful corporate atmosphere. You'll interact frequently with an executive team that has significant accomplishments at The White House, Google, McKinsey, and Capital One behind them. Much more than a model builder, you'll talk directly with VP+ customers and stakeholders, vet and negotiate deals with vendors, recommend strategies to change the direction of the company, and discuss data stewardship and model governance with deep legal minds in the public and private sectors.
We're proud of the sophisticated data ingestion process we have built, as well as the multi-model ecosystem that is already live, with its parts working together to orchestrate an instant insurance decision in a robust, well-managed, and well-tested way. We have high expectations of communication, accountability, and mathematical rigor, and are looking for those who would be inspired and stimulated in such an environment.
Do you have what it takes?
- 2-10 years of relevant experience in data science
- What's relevant? Any of the following:
- Fintech: you've built credit risk, fraud, or insurance models or algorithms and worked with engineering teams to deploy them
- Academia: you've used real-world data to publish highly cited peer-reviewed journal articles on prediction or inference using open source tools
- Series A and Series B start-up environments: you've served a catch-all analytics role doing everything from data cleaning to SQL joins to building predictive models
- Our definition of data science:
- Data science is computerized math that makes inferences or predicts the future with enough accuracy to meet the key goals of an organization
- Strengths aligned with our needs
- Theoretical background relevant to data science
- E.g. Can you explain how to build a random forest without making reference to computers?
- Technical skills
- E.g. When you write a python library that tests the score distribution of incoming orders against expectation, does Engineering praise the quality of your code?
- Creative skills
- E.g. When out-of-the-box regression on a continuous target isn't good enough, can you come up with a customized loss function for the problem?
- Collaboration skills
- E.g. Can you get a group to make a controversial decision in fewer than 30 minutes?
We want to help you do the best work of your life
We believe the most valuable investment we can make — and the greatest boost we can give your career — is an exceptional team of colleagues who are passionate about what we are doing.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent.
- Our passionate, capable team will always be our #1 benefit
- We are proud of the team we have built so far, and we are excited about the team we have yet to add
- Learn something new every day
- Get more done than you would anywhere else
- Competitive salaries and stock option grants
- Top-of-the-line computer equipment
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your family
- Flexible work hours
- Unlimited vacation policy
- A modern, dynamic 401(k) plan
- Wellness benefits (Health FSA)
- Commuter benefits (Transit FSA)
We believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.