Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we're looking for:
Starry is seeking a Manager of Network Deployment to work and lead a team of technicians to support the Network Deployment team. This role is responsible for racking, stacking, and cabling networking cabinets; pulling, terminating, and testing copper and fiber optic cables; configuring and provisioning proprietary and off-the-shelf wireless PTP and PTMP radios; and fixing network performance issues. You will work with switches, routers, network management systems, wireless radios, and other IP network devices. A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, and you'll be willing to work off-hours and participate in occasional field deployments that are off-site. This position will be based in Los Angeles (Culver City).
What you'll do:
- Develop and lead a team of Network Deployment Technicians to provision, test, and commission network elements
- Provide a world-class experience for our clients: landlords, condominium boards and enterprises and subscribers
- Hire, train and groom our in-house professionals to excel in their fields and improve our organizational capability
- Enthusiastically and tirelessly advocate for Starry’s mission
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of the overall Starry technology portfolio
- Participate in design sessions with Engineering and Deployment QA to develop an understanding for how we approach the design process, how to read design documents, how to cable a customer property MDF cabinet, and how to configure and provision various network components
- Configure routers, switches, NUCs, wireless radios, and other IP network devices in preparation for their deployment to customer sites
- Responsible for network equipment cabling, pulling and terminating CAT & fiber cables, wire and system testing, repair, and service maintenance 24/7
- Track, prioritize, and handle technical activities and landmarks from start of build to customer-ready
- Troubleshoot and correlate event/alarm events and resolve trouble tickets with 24/7 service team
- Produce positive results in high-pressure situations
- Some work shifts outside of normal business hours, performing tasks that can only be accomplished outside business hours and address any new issues that may arise
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
- Collaborate with RF Network Design and Network Operations to ensure uneventful and satisfying service initiation
- Provide hands-on management of the most complex projects: leading by personally taking on any difficult problems
- Mentor and coach of members of staff, setting goals and effective checkpoints
- Moderate physical activity to fulfill operational goals
- Additional duties as required
- BS in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 10 years or more of experience with PTP or PTMP radios, networking and routing, configuration
- 5 years or more of field leadership
- CCNP or equivalent experience
- Proven optimistic and enthusiastic leadership style
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Real passion for Starry’s business
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, and safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- 100% employer paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock options
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, community clubs, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.