Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking an expert Engineer to join our growing team. You will operate our fiber, wireless, routing, and IP transit assets for national backbone, regional backhaul, and last mile networks. Starry prides itself in handling the entire customer experience for internet delivery to the end user, from the consumer friendly Starry Station Dual Band 802.11ac router, which was designed in-house, to custom networking equipment allowing us to deliver gigabit speeds over existing in-home cabling, to custom in-house designed point to multi-point wireless system for the last-mile delivery of gigabit capable wireless from a pre-5G system to a residential dwelling.
This position will ensure the continuity of the bits flowing from one end to another without restriction and assist in restoring service as quickly as possible when an issue does occur. You will have been successful building and operating complex data networks from design to production operations.
What you’ll do:
- Support a 24/7/365 network operations team responding to network outages as advanced by the existing tier-2 networking team
- There will be a primary responsibility for design and standards of our access networks, qualification of new equipment, firmware and software
- Work closely with the deployment group to provide engineering, architectural, and debug assistance in the metro backbone and last-mile areas of our network
- Collaborate with the team to understand their needs and have responsibility for the guidelines, standards, and tools used by them in each market to complete these tasks
- Lead physical, L2 and access network planning analyzing usage and resiliency, understanding growth and working with the design and deployment team to grow and improve existing wireless and metro fiber networks
- Collaborate with the Starry engineering team, which custom builds our point to multi-point wireless hardware, to progress the operational abilities of its products
- Be responsible for the configuration and upgrade of off-the-shelf networking equipment as well as Starry custom equipment
- Implement standard methodologies in configuration management and deployment
- Work with Starry Cloud Operations Engineering to aid in the development of new tools to improve network management and data collection of deployed equipment
- There may be travel up to 20% of the time to support network needs in remote markets
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related engineering technical field, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience in the design and operation of high capacity networks (carrier or content provider) providing direct internet access to customers; Cisco certifications a plus
- Experience with operating a network of several 10Gbps circuits and working with the service providers who provide these circuits, resolving outages and circuit turn up
- Experience working with carrier grade hardware: Cisco ASR, Juniper MX or Brocade MLX and customer edge products: Cisco Catalyst/Nexus, Juniper etc.
- Experience with network monitoring, management and secure authentication protocols and tools such as TACACS+/RADIUS
- Experience with MPLS or other large scale network (SDN, etc.) solutions preferred
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Experience with Linux embedded systems and server administration
- Built and deployed network automation solutions
- A real passion for scripting, programming, and API experience would be phenomenal
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the position such as bustling about, standing, bending, or sitting for the duration of your shift
- 100% employer paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock options
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, community clubs, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.