Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we are looking for:
Starry is seeking a Senior Associate of state and local government affairs and digital equity, reporting to the Senior Vice President of Government Affairs and strategic advancement. In this role, you will be responsible for enhancing and developing strong relationships at the state and local level and furthering relationships to grow Starry Connect, the company’s digital equity program.
Our ideal candidate has 5-7 years of experience working in municipal or state government, working in a technology or telecom policy role, a government relations role or on political campaigns, with a strong sense of judgment and the ability to effectively communicate with elected officials, community leaders and other relevant stakeholders, in order to help drive positive business and policy outcomes.
This role will be based in New York City and safe and socially-distanced attendance in the office (several days per week) is expected and part of our team’s culture.
- Specific set of cities and states where the senior associate will have ownership over outreach and relationship development responsibility;
- Provide government relations support on local issues, providing our operations teams with analysis, guidance and/or support as needed when issues arise;
- Ongoing tracking of overall government relations activities to track team progress, identify gaps and demonstrate measurable progress in government relations outreach;
- Draft background briefings, perform research on policy and legislative issues and prepare summaries, monitor hearings and legislative activities in multiple jurisdictions.
- Working closely with our communications team, provide support as needed by developing written content for our external blog and for internal communications
- Develop partnerships with key community stakeholders (advocates, nonprofits, CBOs) that will help establish and drive Starry’s government relations presence in a particular market.
Our ideal candidate will be/have:
- Passionate about government affairs. You believe in the power and potential for Starry’s technology to close the digital divide in our communities.
- Well-read, well-informed and passionate about our issues. You geek out on broadband competition, taking on the monopoly incumbents, furthering broadband infrastructure expansion and increasing digital equity across our communities.
- Detail oriented and highly organized. You’re able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and keep those projects on track and execute on deliverables.
- A people person. You enjoy the relationship development process and who understands how to reach critical decision makers and influence them.
- A great communicator. You’re persuasive in writing, in speech and IRL, to both internal and external audiences.
- A true team player. You recognize that our successes are team successes and you support your colleagues by pitching in where necessary and raising your hand to help.
- Good judgment. You recognize that this is an external facing role and you take that responsibility seriously in how the company is represented and make sound decisions that benefit the company and move us towards our goals.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You have the ability to self-motivate and problem solve independently and also bring creative ideas on how we engage key stakeholders
- Collaborative. You are able to work effectively with colleagues from across all company functions: marketing, legal, sales, engineering and operations
- You have 5-7 years of experience working in municipal or state government, working in a technology or telecom policy role, a government relations role or on political campaigns
- You have some background, experience or knowledge in real estate
- And you have an undergraduate or graduate degree in political science or communications or a related study area.
- 100% employer paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock options
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after one year of employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, community clubs, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.