Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking an experienced Radio Network Planning Engineer to join our growing team. You will directly support the Network Design and Deployment group by developing the wireless network design as well as its build, implementation, and optimization. This role includes radio planning activities related to Starry’s network roll-out and operations in Los Angeles. Our ideal candidate will design, plan, verify, and optimize the performance of point-to-multipoint (PMP) wireless systems, including radio propagation modeling and prediction, frequency planning, site equipment design, end-to-end testing, and performance optimization. You will have had success building out complex wireless data communication systems from greenfield to operations for multiple dwelling units (MDU) and fixed wireless access networks.
What you’ll do:
- Perform network design and quantitative analysis using a combination of radio network planning tools and GIS to determine most optimal PMP hub locations that service a maximum number of buildings within a market
- Extensive field measurement to characterize performance of millimeter wave frequency bands under varying RF environments and clutter class, and form agreement with model predictions
- Design high capacity point-to-point (PTP) wireless backhaul using Tier 1 radio equipment across a variety of frequency bands and technologies
- Design point to multipoint links (PMP), optimizing for diverse engineering and commercial needs
- Conduct surveys and site walks to validate radio network design and generate a detailed statement of work (SOW) for installation of both roof top radio equipment and indoor structured cabling and distribution, switching, power, and grounding
- Verify end-to-end testing results meet expected results
- Optimize the network through site modifications and parameter adjustments and trials
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related engineering technical field, or equivalent work experience
- 1-4 years experience in wireless system design (PMP, PTP, mobile), preferably in deploying greenfield networks
- Design, deployment and optimization experience acquired with a wireless provider, consultancy, or radio equipment supplier
- Expertise with RF planning tools (Siradel, Atoll, Planet, or IBwave) and GIS tools (MapInfo or ArcView)
- Understanding of RF propagation theory and model tuning of the radio planning tool, ideally across a number of the following frequencies - 80GHz, 60GHz, 37 - 40GHz, 23GHz, and 18GHz
- Hands-on experience with field measurement, installation, and testing of radio equipment
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup, and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Ability to develop new and nontraditional solutions that leverage multiple wireless technologies and methodologies
Bonus points if:
- You have passionate feelings about Starry and our mission
- Your sense of humor shines through even if stressed
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered breakfast every Monday
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.