Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking an expert Engineer to join our growing team. You will directly support the Network Operations group operating our fiber, wireless, routing and IP transit assets for national backbone, regional backhaul, and last mile networks. Starry prides itself in handling the entire customer experience for internet delivery to the end user, from the consumer friendly Starry Station Dual Band 802.11ac router, which was designed in house, to custom networking equipment allowing us to deliver gigabit speeds over existing in-home cabling, to custom in-house designed point to multi-point wireless system for the last-mile delivery of gigabit capable wireless from a pre-5G system to a residential dwelling.
This position will focus on driving performance improvements of the RF links, access and backhaul, in the Starry network. You will have had success building, configuring and operating fixed wireless network backhaul systems, using multi-vendor equipment. Using knowledge of RF link design, RF and network protocols you will drive enhanced performance and operability.
- You will support a 24/7/365 network operations team responding to outages advanced by the existing Tier-2 networking team.
- You will work closely with the deployment group to provide engineering, architectural, and debug assistance in the metro backbone and last-mile areas of our network. You will collaborate with the team to understand their needs and be responsible for the guidelines, standards, and tools used by them in each market to complete these tasks.
- You will collaborate with the Starry engineering team, which custom builds our wireless hardware, to improve the performance and operational abilities of its products.
- You will analyze system and network performance, implementing changes to improve throughput and effectively utilize resources.
- There may be travel up to 20% of the time to support network needs in remote markets.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related engineering technical field
- 3+ years experience with configuring, operating, and solving problems in outdoor fixed wireless systems, microwave and millimeter wave, PTP and PTMP wireless backhaul; CCNP Wireless or equivalent
- Fundamental RF Communication and DC Power Systems knowledge along with an ability to communicate principles and specifics to a non-technical (ELI5) and/or a 20+ year expert in the field
- Passion for Linux scripting, Python programming for networking, data capture and analysis
- Experience with carrier grade hardware: Cisco ASR, Juniper MX or Brocade MLX required
- Creation of network documentation (standard design, schematics, processes, standard operating procedures) and administration of network systems
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Love forming new friendships leading to business success
We work hard, so we take care of our team members and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered breakfast every Monday
- Wine, beer, and snacks always on hand
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.