Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we're looking for:
Are you a detail-oriented team player, possessing negotiation skills and the ability to work independently as needed? As a Mechanical Sourcing Specialist, you will drive the development of product strategies for mechanical and other assigned commodities. You will build relationships with suppliers, negotiate costs, develop agreements and work in alignment with various stakeholders to provide direction for optimum sourcing strategies. This includes supplier identification, selection & support of early supplier involvement during initial product development phases, supplier qualification, and execution of on-going cost reduction initiatives across the supply base.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the sourcing process for the mechanical commodity (including custom high precision machining, sheet metal, diecast parts, injection molded plastics and cable assemblies).
- Assist in the development of the overall sourcing strategy and opportunity assessment.
- Negotiate commercial agreements with global suppliers.
- Represent supply chain on cross functional new product development teams through all phases of the Product Development Process.
- Plan, buy, and monitor materials to support engineering projects and secure pipeline during NPI (new product introduction) to support production at product release, including oversight of first article approvals and hand-off to designated contract manufacturers.
- Issue RFQs/RFPs as part of competitive bidding process and evaluate vendors on the basis of total cost of ownership; cost, quality, delivery and service.
- Drive cost reductions through vendor negotiation and the identification of alternative sources of supply.
- Manage communication of revision changes to external suppliers as required.
- Provide change information and revised drawings.
- Ensure that problems relating to delivery, quality or pricing are promptly communicated to the Supplier and resolved in a timely manner.
- Manage supplier performance stability to meet cost, delivery and quality expectations, leveraging lead time reductions, capacity improvements, and cost management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Engineering, Business, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience is required. APICS certification preferred.
- 3-5 years of work experience in a direct material sourcing, procurement, supply chain, engineering or operations capacity with electro-mechanical parts and assemblies.
- Excellent oral/written communication, analytical and problem-solving skills; proficiency in Mandarin a plus.
- Hands on experience and utilization of NetSuite ERP and Arena PLM a plus.
- Solid understanding of supply chain fundamentals, operations, finance & inventory management
- Strong negotiation skills, ability to collaborate cross-functionally and attention to detail
- Knowledge of purchasing and inventory planning procedures and policies
- Be open and flexible to changes and make constructive suggestions for improvement
- Ability to prioritize in a fast paced and demanding environment
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.