Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is looking for a Site Acquisition Specialist / Project Manager who’d like to help us redefine how people access the internet. In this role, you will drive the leasing, zoning, and permitting processes, while working with a larger team to expand Starry’s coverage within the greater San Francisco area.
Reporting to the Vertical Asset Director, this role will lead the acquisition of new sites in the market, as well as spearhead any site modifications needed for Starry’s continued growth. We are looking for a strong candidate that brings knowledge, creativity, and wireless project experience to the position, along with a desire to change the world in a meaningful way.
What you’ll do:
- Directly handle and drive site acquisition and permitting of Starry sites in the San Francisco Bay area
- Project manage and forecast all pre-construction activities for new site builds as well as site modifications
- Coordinate the activities of consultants, contractors, and internal resources that support acquisition & permitting
- Build processes that ensure a smooth hand-off to construction teams
- Prepare, submit, and track applications for nationally managed rooftops and towers (ATC, Crown, SBA, etc.)
- Evaluate lease terms, coordinate lease reviews with internal counsel, and facilitate landlord approval
- Complete and submit applications for zoning and building permits to applicable jurisdictions; directly engage with zoning and permitting officials as necessary
- Maintain strong and positive landlord relationships
- Evaluate suppliers, manage costs, and drive efficiency within processes and financial decision making
- Must have a successful track record of 3+ years in wireless site acquisition and permitting or equivalent knowledge of planning and permitting in the San Francisco Bay area.
- 3+ years of project managing large new site builds or major site modification programs
- Knowledge of the Bay Area jurisdictions and codes, with demonstrated ability to overcome permitting obstacles
- Proven ability to drive performance and meet deployment timelines
- Excellent communication, documentation, and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer software skills, with experience working in project tracking databases, financial reporting systems, standard MS Office applications, and applications such as Google Earth, Jira, and Looker
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and elevate the levels of performance within a larger group
- Ability to commute as necessary to landlord or permitting meetings
- A proven track record of delivering aggressive deadlines on time and on budget
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the position such as bustling about, standing, bending, or sitting for the duration of your shift
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds
Bonus points if..
- You have prior experience developing greenfield and growth sites for major telco carriers in multiple environments - towers, commercial rooftops, and residential rooftops
- Experience in a high growth startup environment
- You have experience with expediting permits
- Demonstrated success in personally working with SF/OAK/SJC landlords to secure leases
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Generous PTO policy
- Career development reimbursement
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.