Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
The Controller will be a key member of the Finance team and will require the candidate to be capable of operating successfully in a high growth, rapidly evolving organization. The candidate will be responsible for the accurate and timely recording of all Financial Transactions and the production of monthly GAAP compliant financial statements. This position will serve as the primary contact for external auditors and tax advisors and is responsible for ensuring compliance with all regulations including audit and tax requirements. This position will also oversee the rapidly expanding portfolio of real estate associated with business expansion. The Controller will report directly to the CFO.
What you’ll do:
- Manage accounting, treasury, accounts payable, accounts receivable, collections, inventory, and fixed assets
- Lead monthly close process across the enterprise and prepare timely GAAP financial statements
- Manage a staff of six initially, and be able to rapidly grow the team in alignment with the growth of the organization
- Implement automated financial processes to align with the growth of the organization
- Manage the treasury process across the enterprise to ensure a current view of liquidity and working capital needs
- Manage payables and receivables to acceptable levels
- Ensure a rigorous financial controls environment within the business to maintain compliance with current and anticipated legal and regulatory requirements, leading to a SOX based controls environment
- Establish new policies and procedures across the combined enterprise and improve existing policies and procedures as required
- Build a culture of high performance, healthy collaboration, and rapid development by setting high expectations for staff, providing opportunities for development, and personally providing feedback and coaching to teammates
- Provide timely and accurate information on a GAAP compliant basis to the CFO, Leadership Team, Shareholders, Board of Directors, Lenders and Auditors
- Utilize and improve effectiveness of recently implemented NetSuite systems
- Lead selection and support implementation of systems to support financial growth of organization
- Coordinate and manage external audits and tax compliance
- 15+ years of senior accounting leadership experience with CPA required, performing or overseeing Accounting, Treasury, and Financial Reporting in a company of $200M + revenue
- Experience with operating and maximizing Accounting systems, preferably NetSuite
- Strong leadership and negotiating skills
- Experience in working in a vertically integrated evironment with capital asset deployment and inventory management a plus.
- Ability to evaluate, understand and problem solve issues with the ability to make complex ideas or situations clear, simple and easy to understand
- Experience directly managing a team of accounting and finance professionals in a high growth environment
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills (ie. Pivot Tables, V-Lookups) Proficiency in other Microsoft tools Word, PowerPoint, Access
- Exceptional communication skills – both written and verbal
- Ability to work effectively at all levels in an organization and to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal
- Prior experience with Private Equity, Sr. Lenders, and large public institutions
- Strong technical knowledge of GAAP accounting, Income Statements, Balance Sheets, Cash Flow
- Comfortable with financial applications to enhance and automate processes, reporting, analysis and controls
- Preferred industries: Technology, Communications, Software, Financial Services
- SEC financial reporting and IPO experience a plus
- Public Accounting firm experience with National or Global firm a strong plus.
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.