Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who you are:
We’re looking for a Field Service Technician to work with and support the Field Maintenance department in configuring, deploying, troubleshooting, and maintaining Starry networking systems installed in the Los Angeles metro area. You will be part of a team to support both standard deployments and our disaster recovery program ensuring our service outages are minimized and within Starry MTTR / SLAs.
A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, but our ideal candidate is willing to participate in field maintenance that is often off-site and occasionally off-hours. This position will be based in Los Angeles but willing to travel, approximately 20%.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of the overall Starry technology portfolio
- Participate in design sessions with Engineering and Deployment QA to develop an understanding for how we approach the design process, how to read design documents, how to properly cable and configure MDF/IDF cabinets and equipment deployed at Starry locations
- In field troubleshooting, replacement, and configuration of the full suite of devices deployed across the Starry network
- Responsible for creating, updating, and auditing as built documentation
- Participate with internal teams as well as outside vendors during maintenance activities (Riggers, Tower Climbers, Electricians, etc.)
- Perform planned and preventive maintenance activities in accordance with PMCS Schedule
- Responsible for the creation, escalation, and resolution of maintenance tickets
- Produce positive results in high-pressure situations
- Work occasional shifts outside of normal business hours, performing tasks that can only be accomplished outside business hours and address any new issues that may arise
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
Experience and Education Required:
- Either a Bachelor's, Technical Institute degree or certificate in Computer Science, Network Management, Information Systems, or other related field or equivalent work experience
- 2-4 years of experience as a network technician, preferably in the field
- Proficient knowledge of the installation of internet broadband, including installation and testing of Cat-3/5/5E/6/6A cables, fiber, fiber connectors, patch panels, rack equipment, 110 and 66 blocks
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- Possess a basic knowledge of network topology and TCP/IP
- Experience with networking and routing - CCNA or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated and strong competency in diligently updating as-built documentation for internal stakeholders: often in the form of network implementation plans, physical network designs, documents, and spreadsheets
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, work in extreme weather, and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Background check may be required
Bonus points if..
- You have a noted bias for action, and sense of pace and urgency; you’ll ensure work is completed within expected timelines and is appropriately documented in a project management tool
- You have a real passion for Starry’s business
- Outstanding shuffleboard skills are also a plus
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.