Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking a Manager of Network Field Maintenance for our Boston office. In this position you will be managing a team of Field Maintenance technicians that support network operations. Network Field maintenance is responsible for addressing critical outages 24/7 which may require replacing hardware, aiming antennas, re-terminating data cables, and electrical cables, all of which requires a high level of prioritization and on-the-fly troubleshooting.
Supporting problem solving activities is critical in this role. Network Field Maintenance is also responsible for but not limited to supporting hardware upgrades to the network as well as general time dependent maintenance such as inspecting/replacing corroded or aged cabling, cleaning antenna radomes, telecom closet cleaning, and cable management.
This role requires regular communication with both the Network Deployment & Operations, NetTech Services, Customer Care, RF Engineering to coordinate activity while working to maintain live sites as well as with both Tier 2 and Tier 3 teams to quickly and efficiently address maintenance tickets. An ability to assess fast changing variables to ascertain project priority is critical.
A typical day is primarily office based while triaging activity between the teams but can sometimes require site walks in the field. Supporting field activity is sometimes off-site and at times off-hours. This job requires 24/7 availability and instilling a 24/7 break/fix culture.
Quick: whip smart and able to pick up knowledge on-the-go
Autonomous: self-motivated and able to deal with the ambiguity typical of an early-stage company
Detail oriented: has an eye for spotting irregularities and notices “the little things”
Hyper Organized: multitasking and time management come naturally
Creative: energized by new problems to solve, always coming up with new ideas and looking for ways to implement them
What you’ll be doing:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of our overall technology portfolio
- Managing and developing Field Maintenance Technicians and on call personal.
- Review site design documentation, installation drawings, IDPs
- Work with third party contractors and internal teams to address issues and defects found during the construction phase as well as post on air site maintenance, modification, upgrade work that requires the use of internal teams and/or approved vendors
- Review and confirm contractor sign off sheets
- Prioritize field maintenance activity by working with Network Operations, Customer Care, and Deployment PM’s
- Prioritize maintenance ticket remediation.
- CMC Ticketing and SMOP submittals for planned outages
- Manage storm response and recovery planning and implementation
- Balance maintenance material inventory & process & track RMA returns.
- Work with solutions engineering and project managers to identify improvements: generally around build design, documentation, and methodology to improve network reliability and operations.
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, you'll also develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment and network stability
- BS in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Management
- Engineering Management or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of experience in a hands-on technical role
- Experience with RF, networking, and electrical, fiber optic, coax cabling systems
- Experience with fixed wireless radio systems
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- Experience with deployment & maintaining CPE equipment from MDF & IDF to Network Nodes.
- Having a track record of delivering on or exceeding goals
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the position such as standing, bending, or occasional need to climb ladders or stairs, and be able to lift up to 50 lbs
Bonus Points If..
- You have experience with PRTG, Looker, Jira
- You have a real passion for Starry’s business
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.