Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is looking for a tech-savvy Vertical Assets Tower Foreman who’d like to help us redefine how people access the internet. You will act as the face of Starry Internet Services to building owners and internet subscribers, and will be responsible for driving our network infrastructure projects by leveraging your networking knowledge.
Reporting to the Vertical Assets Construction Manager, this role will provide continued support for the construction and deployment of Vertical Asset (Beam/Hybrid Serving sites) in support of expansion of the Starry network and internet services. The Vertical Assets Foreman will be responsible for the installation and delivery of assigned Vertical Assets projects and build outs.
What You’ll Do:
- Management skills in running their team in day to day operations
- Expert in reading CDs, Blueprints/Shop Drawings, Structural Schematics and Reports, RFDS, RF PTP Link Configurations
- Must have and emphasis and higher Expert understanding of rigging requirements, capstan operations, Crane/Signaling, Steel Work, setting azimuths and site layout, and full quality and safety procedures
- Able to layout site for installation and complete Bill of Materials for site build including Mounts and hardware
- Perform RAN Wireless Site construction activities including assembling/erecting wall & ballast mounts & masts, installing antennas, mounting hardware, installing fiber, DC, CAT6 coax and connectors, grounding, testing, positioning, and optimizing antennas and lines
- Install structural steel reinforcements, mechanical & adhesive anchor bolt systems
- Installation of infrastructure pathway for Fiber, DC, CAT6 between BTS & Antenna Mounts. Including installation of IMC Conduits, Cable Tray, Sleepers
- Read Plans, Site Plans, shop drawings and Tower Drawings
- Install, connect and test underground and above ground grounding systems both mechanical & exothermic weld systems
- Complete work in a timely and efficient manner by planning, prioritizing, and mobilizing staff, materials to meet schedule
- Expert level of knowledge with testing equipment Anritsu, Fiber tester, PIM, RET etc.
- Ensure PM/CM is apprised of construction progress, concerns, and deviations from the plans or established schedule
- Identify all materials and other resources needed to complete project
- Identify construction "punch list" of items to be remedied and ensure they are completed prior to network acceptance & inspection
- Maintain and enforce all Starry and OSHA safety practices, perform daily job-site safety inspections on equipment prior to operation
- Work with Project Manager/Construction Manager to analyze job requirements such as labor and materials
- Expert in Full Close out Process (COP) including photos, forms, testing reports, labeling, etc.
- Must be able to work overtime to include Saturdays, Sundays and evening hours
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete all aspects of Starry’s training classes
- Other projects and duties as assigned
- Construction Crew of 3 to 6 tower/civil construction technicians
- Subcontractors and 3rd party crews
Experience and Education Required:
- Minimum of 5+ years experience in leading construction teams to perform outdoor and in-building installation, deployment and fiber construction of telecom networks, and wireless infrastructure
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with installing and weather-proofing conduits for Outside Plant, Telephone, and Power engineering systems
- 5+ years of experience with common wireless equipment, including Fiber, Switches, Repeaters, Coaxial Cable, CAT 6 Cable, Antennas, Splitters, Fiber Cable, etc.
- Able to read blueprints, details and specifications
- Knowledge of standard knots
- Competent Tower Climber and Rescuer Certification. (does not need to be current, Starry will re-certify)
- Successfully complete Starry sand TS&R Training
- Demonstrated ability to drive performance and execute against plans as well as complete installations independently in a professional manner at all job sites
- Knowledge of safe operation of vertical lift and truck mounted boom/vertical lift as well as demonstrated ability to use basic hand and power tools needed for installation projects
- Working knowledge and understanding of wireless networks, including modulation techniques (UTMS, GSM, LTE Pathing plus etc.), amplifier/antenna/cable theory
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well on a team
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Background check may be required
Bonus points if..
- Knowledge of and ability to operate Test Equipment a plus (i.e. RF sweep gear, OTDR, PIM and Fiber Testing).Certifications in each
- Cad-weld or other thermo-weld training
- Anritsu Certified
- EME/RF training
- NWSA TTT1 certification
- R56 training and certification
- First Aid & CPR training
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Snacks always on hand
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.