Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking an experienced and motivated Wireless System Engineer to join our growing team. You will focus on introducing advanced mm-wave/RF Wireless Infrastructure Networking Products into our USA Operating Markets. The ideal candidate will participate in Engineering Trials and then will lead Market Trials. This leadership will require thoughtful collaboration to create synthetic and real world test cases, and to define exit criteria. Your work continues until each markets Engineering team can readily deploy and operate the new product or service. You will create documentation and training materials sufficient to move the product to be "Generally Available", and further support can be provided by Tier 2/Tier 3 Support.
To succeed in this challenging position, you will have had success creating, configuring and operating fixed wireless network backhaul or front haul systems, using multi-vendor equipment and software, and have a thorough understanding of wireless data networking.
What you’ll do:
- You will lead complex wireless data networking projects inserting nascent, proprietary technology into Starry’s Operating Networks
- You will collaborate with the Engineering team in its synthetic small technology trials
- You will collaborate with the deployment & RF System Design group to provide engineering, architectural, and debug assistance in setting up and running a First Office Application (FOA) of nascent technology
- You will collaborate with the development team to understand their needs for the FOA phase of product development and be responsible for closing gaps to ensure adequate testing to exit criteria
- You will collaborate with the Starry engineering team, which custom builds our wireless hardware, to improve the operational abilities of its products.
- You will be an expert at configuring and designing with Starry’s proprietary equipment. And also configure other vendor and Starry proprietary software and hardware systems to accommodate technology insertion
- You will train market personnel in the FOA and non-FOA operating engineering groups to successfully utilize advanced technology
- You will provide documentation and work with technical writers to produce documentation in support of Generally Available technology
- You will use your superior analytical capability to debug simple and complex issues in deployment as they arise, both locally and in the overall network
- You will analyze system and network performance, implementing changes to improve throughput and effectively utilize resources, and work with Starry’s System Integration and Validation Team to debug simple and complex issues as they arise
- There may be travel up to 35% of the time to support network needs in remote markets
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related engineering technical field
- 3+ years experience with configuring, operating, and solving problems in outdoor fixed wireless systems, microwave and millimeter wave, PTP and PTMP wireless backhaul; CCNP Wireless or equivalent
- Fundamental RF Communication and DC Power Systems knowledge along with an ability to communicate principles and specifics to a non-technical (ELI5) and/or a 20+ year expert in the field
- Passion for Linux scripting, Python programming for networking, data capture and analysis
- Experience with carrier grade hardware: Cisco ASR, Juniper MX or Brocade MLX required
- Creation of network documentation (standard design, schematics, processes, standard operating procedures) and administration of network systems
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Love forming new friendships leading to business success
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.